Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Relocated my shocks inside the frame rails

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Dec 20, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've been moving my shocks all over the place trying to find a good compromise. I bought a set of ES3000's for a 6" lift back when I had 33's and they were too stiff. With the addition of a shackle flip, the improved droop started using the shocks as limiting straps which quickly broke the stock mounts. With 38's and a 14 bolt, I couldn't keep the stock mounts welded on fast enough Adding 57" springs to the back was great for the ride but the shocks weren't allowing me to take advantage of it. I decided to inbound the tops of the shocks above the axle at the expense of loosing some dampening due to tha angle and this gave me all the room I needed to really take advantage of the 57's flex.. but, inbounding the shocks on such a soft suspension exagerated body roll since now the shock weren't slowing down an weight transfering left to right and vice versa ( It acted like a jeep on a rollover course). It did pretty good with equal compression through. Finally, I moved the shocks once again to an exagerated forward position just inside the frame rails and it works really well. While the shocks are mounted at an angle which reduces their dampening (same force, half as much movement per whole unit of axle movement), having them mounted back at the sides of the vehicle really helped stability both on and off road by slowing down body lean. I was rather concerned at the exagerated forward location being too soft, but the stiff ES3000's work really well in this postiion and do more to control bounce than they did angled in together above the axle. Another suprise was their ability to reduce the axle wrap jolt I would typicaly get shifting gears with my TH350 under hard accellation when the anti wrap bar was removed. So much good came from it, I thought I'd share with others who might be having the same issues. Here's a pic to show the mounting location.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I guess they were really stiff then because in your present setup, you actually are using 35-40% of the dampening force.
    But I guess if it works then it works.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

interesting....

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yes, they were really stiff, but not as bad with the 38's, 14 bolt and the 57's as they were with the stock springs and 12 bolt. The good thing is that at full compression, the shock is nearly all the way compressed and at full extension the shock is fully extended. So I'm making good use of the range of motion. I am however in need of more dampening for jumping.

5. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I am however in need of more dampening for jumping.

[/ QUOTE ]

second set of shocks same angle other direction

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It looks like you are running a small body lift. could you fab up some mounts that tucked them up as high as possible? I am about to get into the same thing as you are going through.

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I have a 3" body lift, but I'm pulling it back out. You could use it to mount them higher.. as well as get longer shocks and place them lower on the axle. Doing this would help to reduce the angle they are at too. I'm trying to tide myslef over for the next total overhaul.

Just got back from muddin.. I like the way it muds too..

8. Sandman

Are you going to raise up the suspension then?

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm going to tub the rear and move things around up front to lower the truck back down. I want to move the front axle forward and relocate the radiator. My goal is to get the 38's stuffed up in there and have the truck able to run hard at stock height. The plan is to link the axles front and rear with an extremely soft buggy spring, then use opposed airbags at each wheel to adjust height and stiffness. It's the only way I can get everything I want out of my truck. This way, I can jack it up soft for the rocks at about the height I'm at now, then lower it back down for the gaps of desert between the "prime" wheeling spots. It's hard when you wheel with 4wd pre runners!

10. Sandman

I'm interested in how the air bag idea works out. I just got done moving my front axle forward with a new set of soft springs with some geasable shackels. then I plan on doing the ford springs in the rear with the shackle flip. the shocks I have not figured out but I might go with what you have ended up with. I have a 3" body lift so I might build a mount that puts them as high as I can.

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've been fabbing up air bags on all kinds of cars and I really like the ride and flexibility. As for your shock setup - if you don't want to run them through the bed, this is about as close as your going to get to keeping stability and still allowing the axle to fully articulate on those 57's. It might be advantagious to mount them back (closer to straight up and down) about 3-4" from where I mounted mine, depending on how soft they are. I would go with a user rebuildable shock so you can dial in any changes you may make in the future, instead of buying new ones.

12. Sandman

I still might lean them forward some as I do mud race all summer and axle wrap on the softer springs might be a problem. Or I might do what you suggest and solve the axle wrap issue another way...