Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Relocating.... A few requests.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by oldassjeep, Sep 28, 2005.

1. oldassjeep

oldassjeep Registered Member

Hello all,

I am in the process of selling my house here in Pasadena TX, (kind of suburb of Houston.) I along with my family, upon closing are going to relocate to Aiken South Carolina. It is a daunting move for me, as I am giving up a career in Law Enforcement to make the move. The reasons for the move are numerous, but the most compelling reason is my wife will be making a substantual career leap. (into hospital management) and will start making almost as much as the two of us together here.

I am both nervous and excited about the move. I have visited many times and like the rural country. We are looking to move onto 7 acres of land. Here 7 acres would cost you about $300,000.00 without any improvements (unless you were willing to live 70 miles one way from work.) There we are getting the land and an older 4 bd 2 bath house for just under $100,000.00

Is anyone here a member of a club near Aiken? Anyone know where Aiken is :doah: ?

Any suggestions on the move? I have to find a way to get the K5 there. Uhaul doesn't have an option for towing a "heavy" vehicle. The damn truck is gonna cost me about $1800.00 to rent :mad: Hope my ol' ladies package includes a relocation allowance :D

All mods have been put on hold for a bit. Gotta save for the move. It's killin me cause I was hoping to buy a soft top for it an ditch the fiberglass. Oh well.

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well I can't offer you any advice, but Good Luck with the move, I hope it works out great for you.
    That sounds like a great deal on the property, I was briefly looking at NC property a few months ago and that sounds like an excellent price if it's a good area.

3. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i tow my k5 on a uhaul trailer all the time.do you have another car to take with you?if so just list that one as the one being on the trailer and if you have a problem that requires uhaul to come out and fix the truck or trailer pull the k5 off and put the other on one.just be sure to get the newer silver trailer.takes 5 min to load and unload the cars off the trailers.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Cool, more donuts for me :D

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Tell U-haul it's an S-10 Blazer.

Other than that, just give yourself plenty of time to make it there. I'm not on your way so I'm impractically far out of the way if you need help or anything. If all else fails, post up here and somebody will be on their way. Paul helped a brother out up in Canuckland. :D

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

As for advice, I have none (at least that would be helpful), but if you run into problems in La. look me up and good luck on the move.

7. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to the south! :D You'll be about 2 hours from me. We'll have to get together for some wheeling. There should be lots of clubs near columbia, but I think most are made up of young punks and illegal wheeling. :o What route are you taking to get here?

8. oldassjeep

Well we have taken I-10 to Mobile then up to Birmingham, then over to Atlanta then Aiken. Can't remeber the freeways though. Thinking of going 59 up then across. Unsure yet.

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you are going to take I-10 to Mobile, take I-12 from Baton Rouge back to 10 to avoid NOLA. Look at a map and you will see what I mean - it is a better route right now (and always IMO). 12 hooks back up with 10 around Gulfport and you can avoid NOLA and all of the associated headaches.

10. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You'll be coming up through GA and SC on I20. When are you making the move?

11. oldassjeep

yea, I've taken 12 everytime. up through Slidell and Covington. Only went to NO route once, on purpose to party b/4 heading to the in-laws.

Will be headed that way in the beginning of November. We shoud close on the house here late Oct. Then head out.

I'm gonna need to research gun laws in SC. Since I prolly won't be doin Law Enforcement there, I'll look into carry laws. Also anyone know about SC rifle laws? Yea or nah on scaring looking rifles. ie AR-15, SKS, AK's, FLN ect.
    What about knife laws, I like to have a bit-o-steel on the hip out in the woods. Here in TX 5" is max blade length.

Will be searching the internet to answer these any many more question I sure.

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to the neighborhood, well sort of. If you need anything as you pass throught Atlanta let me know. As far as wheeling, you'd be kind of far from where we go, but may be you can find some help here SFWDA.org

13. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just flat tow the K5 behind the U-Haul thats what I did from AZ to Ut and a friend did from AZ to ID and it worked great in both cases. He got a flat but then the tires on his Blazer were shot anyway. In both cases they were home built tow bars.

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Hell for $1800 you could buy a decent trailer.

15. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

www.packing.org is a good site for gun laws and such. many links related to concealed carry and knives.

16. oldassjeep

Whoa, this is crazy. I was just playing around with the U-Haul reservation site and found out if I pick up the truck in Austin (3.5 hrs away) I can rent it for $970. vs $1794. here. The cost of a one way flight from Houston to Austin $44.90. The extra fuel, going high but say $120.00. I could save $659.10. I still get the 5 days alotted for the move, the extra mileage exceeds the difference between Houston and Austin. Only thing not figured is cab fare from airport to pick up truck. even if it was $60.00 that is still 600 samolions to my favor. :eek1:

I lose the better part of a day to use the truck, but still worth $600.00 to me.

I like the idea of flat towing the K5. I have a tow bar that I got with a old Willys I bought a few years back. I guess I could fab up a cross member to attach to the K5. I quess removing the drive shafts is in order to make such a tow?

17. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

why not buy a trailer to haul your blazer or do you not have anything to haul it with?

18. oldassjeep

As much as I would like to have a trailer to tow the blazer, I am trying to make this move as economical as possible. I have a 4 bedroom house full of furniture and crap to move along with two vehicles.

19. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if uhaul has too many trucks in one area they will cut the rates to move them to where they are short of trucks.they had a special here in ak that you could rent any trailer for $50.00 to the lower 48 with a truck rental.also rented trucks for 900.00 1 way out of state since we had way too many up here.i am dealer so if you have any questions just ask :D .also check to see if there is a town near where you are going that is a cheaper desination.