Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Relocating front axle?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Gold Rush, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Stephen,

I've heard some people talking about a part you have for relocating the front axle. I did not see such a monster on your website. What kind of part are we tallking about? and how do I get that damn axle forward without relocating spring shackle mounts? I still have the same 4" front springs and 4" rear springs + 2" blocks in the rear as I had at Why2K5 run. I run 36" TSL's with some trimming and ready for either 38's or 40's. More trimming and moving the axle forward is all that's stopping me.

Thanks,
    David
    D44,14FF,36's,4" lift, lotsa trimming

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>http://www.extremeblazer.com</a>

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Stephen, I am also interested in hearing about these offset blocks. I have a question for you, can you make the offset blocks, with angle machined in them? If so, I could remove my angle blocks which came in my spring packs. Right now I have 6" springs up front and 4" rear springs with a shackle flip. My problem is, the rear springs are from Superlift and have moved my axle forward by 1.5" at least! I need to measure the spring eye to pin location on both front and rear sides of the axle to find out if the springs were offset for some reason. Another Question, are '72 Blazer rear springs shorter and different pin location than my '78? Actually, these springs were purchased for a '72 and I used them on my '78 instead. Gold Rush, good topic... and Stephen, Thanks in advance for the information.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

This is just my opinion, but I have done it on my vehicle. OK, enough with the disclaimer.
    You can drill new holes to accomadate your spring center pin in your spring perch and the top u-bolt spring plate to relocate the axle forward up to about 1.25" - 1.50" safely. This will do the same thing as the relocating blocks, but without the extra lift.

4.56 Geared, Power Locked, Dana 60
    4.56 Geared, TSM Disc Braked, Detroit Locked, Corporate 14

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I need to get a set built like we're going to produce them to get a photo out, it makes it easier to understand. Basically you have a pin that's offset from the center of the spring. That makes the axle center different from the spring center. We'll need a little time to get them rolling, we have some other fires to put out but we're working on it.
    One thing to watch for is the rear springs often have the center pin offset. You can use that fact to your advantage by putting the long part to the front. Springs for a '72 should be the same as for the later model trucks. The only real difference is in the amount of arch. A '69-72 needs extra arch in the spring to make up for the mounting brackets being closer to the frame than a '73-up.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Here is a sketch of the one I made. The 6.5" at the top right should be 5.5". I built a pair of these for the rear of my K5.
    These are just what I built and do not wish to step on any toes with my comments or ideas.
    TO VIEW THE SKETCH, YOU MUST COPY AND PASTE THE URL. CLICKING ON THE LINK WILL NOT GET YOU THE PICTURE.
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1439605&amp;a=10797147&amp;p=45810791&amp;Sequence=0+

4.56 Geared, Power Locked, Dana 60
    4.56 Geared, TSM Disc Braked, Detroit Locked, Corporate 14

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Stephen
    I will get the pics up with a write up, I am using an ORD relocation add-a-leaf on the rear of my Blazer, it relocates my 14 bolt back an 1-3/4" an works great.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers