Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

relocating ft. and rear axle's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nova, Jun 14, 2004.

1. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

relocating ft. and rear axle\'s

i have a 77 blazer with a 6 inch lift ,dana 60 detroit electrac, 14 blt detroit locker, 42 inch tsl's, doubler kit and cross over steering. i want to move the front axle 2 inches and the rear axle 4 inches to equal out the drive shaft's some.

i have heard of people using 52 inch rear springs in the front and 56 inch rear springs in the rear to do this exact same thing. does it work ? how do you do it exactlly ? any other ideas would be great to. i don't want to add hight to my ride just length. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

please help me out /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: relocating ft. and rear axle\'s

wait, do you want to move the rear 4" back and the front 2" forward? moving 4" back will require moving frame mounts or some other spring setup. 56s have the same center pin location so that won't move the axle. Zero Rates will only more your axle 1.5". If that was enough I'd just remove the front axle and drill holes in the spring perches so that the center pin falls in different holes and it will move your axle forward 1.5".

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

turning the 56" around moves the axle back 4".
    and putting the 52's up front will push ya forward 2"

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

If you turn the 56's around, will that effect flex or anything, or it the same, just different mounting spots?

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

they will flex the same, but I'm pretty positive ann angled shim will be needed.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, are shackle flips still possible with turning the springs around? I like the 4" back idea /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

very much so.

9. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

i found a set of 56 inch springs and the center pin is located at 26/30 inch. this will infact make the 4 inch difference i was looking for. i was thinking of getting a ORD 4" shackle flip and 2" lift springs to help the pinion angle out. and yes to the question i will have to move the rear shackle farther back, 4" infact. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

so that leaves the front end with a problem. what to do? the idea of drilling holes in my d60 doesn't make me happy. has anyone done this before is it safe? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    1.5 inch is what i really wanted but i wanted to stay away from add-a-leafs because they add height to my ride. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif what can i say i like my ride height , i just want more flex and longer wheel base.

10. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Go with 52's in the front and reversed 56's in the rear with shims for pinion angle. Or you could use the ORD zero rates in the front to move your axel forward then use a tapered zero rate in the rear to help correct your pinion angle and help keep the ride level. You can put the zero rates in centered in the rear or use them to move your axle farther back if you'd like. Or, I think you could use the zero rates in the front and shim the rear with longer shackles to correct for ride height, this should help stop the pinion from rotating down when the rear springs droop because of the longer front (front of the rear spring) arch.

11. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

tappered zero rate was allready figured on for the rear to keep driveline angle on track and ride hieght i forgot to mention this in the last post. i still use the hard top so a 1 inch block is needed in the rear to just keep it level. i figured zero rates would be perfect to for ride and driveline angle.

the front is another story. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif i want to stay away from zero rate's, the 6 inch springs are more than enough hieght for me. so far the rear 52 inch springs up front sound the best but i was just e-mailed that 6 inch lift rears up front only become 4 inch actual lift and spacers are needed to make up the space lost by the different bushing thickness (1/4 inch spacer each side of bushing) this makes sence.
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif or is there a poly bushing 3 1/2 inch wide with a width of 2 1/2 inches between the shoulders out there that will fit a stock type spring eye or tuff country spring eye of a rear gm spring /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

I believe that stock 52's moved to the front net 4-6 inches lift (varies a little according to what I've read here), so a set of 2 inch 52's should net you at least 6 inches up front. Differences in bushing width can be dealt with with new shackles or spacers. Lots of good info and pics in this thread

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1106200/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1/vc/1

He also has basically the same thread on the Pirate chevy forum.

Hope that helps! Rich

web page

13. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info.

zcar is mentioned in there he is the one that e-mailed me but he didn't move the piviot shackle (rear shackle on the front spring ) he just moved the font shackle bracket to the front of the radiator core support mont (body mount). so the thread just confused my theory. but good info. to think about. it brings about new idea's.
    /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif i was trying to use my 6 inch lift 52" springs for the front but i sure don't need a 12" lift. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif or i use a 4" shackle flip in the rear and 8" lift springs and hugh tractor tires. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

that's to big /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

14. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

anymore ways to get 1"-2" further out with the front axle? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif