Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Relocating gas tank filler location... materials?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I am finally finishing up my bed repair. I want to move my gas filler to 1) prevent further rusting by GMs dumb design for the filler tube, and 2) give it a custom look, and 3) so I can use the small alcove behind the wheelwells to hold my jerry cans. To move the filler, I need to manufacture a custom bent section of ... something... to bring it to the back. What am I restricted to? I was thinking about some rad hose, the corrugated type that is flexible, but Im told it will break down quickly. I also have a bunch of various ABS plastic piping and fittings that would be very easy to adapt onto the neck of the tank, but Im told that it wont work either. Anyone have any input or suggestions?

Thanks
    Mike

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

just go to the parts or wrecking yard with the idea of wehat you need and ask to look behind the counter.. most will say ok!

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Napa has diferent sizes of filler hose and sells it by the foot.Not super duper flexable but it might work for ya.

4. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Get one for a Dodge Viper, those look "cool"

5. B75k5

B75k5 Registered Member

Today a 1974 K5 came into the Chev Dealership where I work and he had relocated his filler hole....guest where? He went inside Blazer and hit a button and the passenger side rear light housing came open and there was the filler hose/cap. He said it was real easy to do...had someone bend a new pipe, cut out opening in rear light housing. He got some sort of button type switch that hold light closed. He used aircraft hardware to attach housing to body of Blazer. Really nice and clean job. Just a thought.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

get a muffler shop to bend up some tubing

to test hose/fuel compatibility,
    take a small section of the hose and immerse it in a sealed jar of fuel for a week.
    if it survives it will be fine