Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Relocating Gas Tank

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 80K5, Sep 13, 2001.

1. 80K5

80K5 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about relocating my gas tank so that i had better departure angles. Has anyone done this and were did you put it? Would it be safe to put it in the back?
    Thanks!!!

Stuck? Isn't that a bird!
    Steve

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You can put a gas tank in the back, but I would use a fuel cell, not the stock tank. Get a fuel cell with the foam in it so if you rollover it wont come out as easy. Also buy the check ball for the vent. The check ball closes wen the tank is upside down. In order to do it in drag racing you are suppose to have some sort of wall in between the tank and you. Kind of like a firewall. Without it you dont pass tech. Also I would no leave the top on because of the fumes.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

then you have to put down the tailgate, to fill up. and how big of a fuel cell can you get? in my opinion the only thing inside that should be explosive is the gas that comes from grandmoms beans. just a thought.

Tork DSR
    I just got a winch, it takes the fun out of things.

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm putting a fuel cell in mine since I bobbed it. It's an RCI 20 gal aluminum fuel cell and runs about $225. No tailgate though. MTPockets has one in his too with the bed bob. You can get 32 Gal poly cells for less than that but they didn't fit my required dimensions.

Bryan

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>THE OFF- ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS!!
    </font color=red>

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

You can run a filler tube from the cell to the sidewall of your rig with no problem. The biggest commercially made cell I've ever seen was 32 gallon, but you can get any size you want custom made.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

and on the safety issue....thin wall tank under the truck to get hit and bashed and leaky, or thick wall tank safely inside the truck where it won't get abused...think about that one. Why do pro street race trucks have them in the bed? A leaky tank that explodes will probably get you either way, but as for vulnerability, it sure takes a lot more hits underneath.

Bryan

Sherman, Tx
    </font color=red>

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i guess it's a mental thing. would you rather be in a room with a bomb, or in the room next door. either way your phucked. and i didn't know they made fuel cells that big, course, that's what she said ;-]

Tork DSR
    I just got a winch, it takes the fun out of things.

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

They make 40 gallon fuel cells. Look around and you can find them.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

How about just raising it and the floor with it,I don't think anyone has thought of that.Dosent seem like to much fabrication and you would still have the whole floor just not as deep...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

10. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, just a question for you guys then. I have not drug my gas tank on any trail that I have been on, not to say that I could not take a bad fall and land on it or something. My questions is this, how many of you have drug your gas tank, and or punched a hole in it. I have a skid on my 31 gallon one in the 77 I drive.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

11. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

On Steve Frisbies Blazer the gas tank was raised 2", to match the 2" body lift, by simply cutting the crossmembers and raising them, then welding them back in place. So far he has had no problems dragging his. Mine however runs the same rear lift and 2" body lift, but I have not raised the tank and I have drug it a couple of time and landed on it hard enough once to actually bend the skid plate and smash the bottom of the tank. I will be raising my tank in the future. Just my 2 cents.

I may be slow, but I sure am fat!

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

i've dragged mine back when it was stock, probably wouldn't now that it's lifted, but with the bed bob I didn't have much choice.

Sherman, Tx
    </font color=red>

13. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I've drug at the back so many times that I built a metal "cage" around the tank.... and it's probably time for a new one!
    The most logical place for relocation is in the bed, but -nobody should ever be sitting on it.... and I don't think you should ever have a top on it again!

Marv

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

72 and older trucks ran a tank in the cab. So did old fords. Put it behind the back seat. Problem is I think they are only 12 gallons.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yep, and on FJ40 landcruisers, the tank is in the space between the passenger seat and the floor.

Sherman, Tx
    </font color=red>

16. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

well after going to llano twice, i think i have reduced the space in my tank by about 3 or 4 gallons. I have the stock skid plate on there and it flexes in and then pops back out. It actually looks like there is no damage at all because the skid plate looks normal, but i was wondering how my tank wasn't holding around 31 gallons anymore when i was almost empty. So then i discovered this situation. and yes it wasn't crunched before hand. Thank god it didn't have any holes in it. So when i do my body lift i'm raising it the same amount and making a beefier skid plate for it. Later - Doug

Doug Krebs