Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Relocating shock mounts ? -Nope, you cant do it

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tori89k5, Nov 6, 2002.

1. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Are there any geometrical problems with putting my front shock mounts higher up on the axle tube, or completely on top ? Since i have to repair my torn off one, i thought id move it higer up the tube to enable more potential droop. Whattcha think ?
    tori89 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif <font color="red">Here's the update. Since my stock mount was torn off the axle last time out wheelin' I thought id raise the mount. This was all good in theory till i finally went out to remove the dangling shocks and still attached mount. The mount is on the back side of the axle for a reason. </font color> Because it wont fit anywhere else. <font color="red"> The steering arm needs that area on top of the axle to make its travel. So mine will be going back to its stock location. Oh well, it was a good idea. </font color>:(

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Re: Relocating shock mounts ?

The only problem i can see with moving the mount further up on the axle and not extending the upper mounting point is that you might lose some upward travel since the shock mount will be closer to the upper mounting point. But other than that i dont know why it wouldnt work.

3. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Well, thats kinda the main reason for doing it. I have pleanty of room for compression. We all have to buy extended length shocks to make up for the raised suspension, and this will compensate for my added zero-rate.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[​IMG]

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

you can also get those ford shock towers and bolt them to your frame, they go up higher then the Stock GM ones....