Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Relocating spring pearches

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by carolina custom, Jul 6, 2002.

1. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

I am going to move the spring pearches and shock mounts on my 14b ff. How much heat can I put into the axle tubes? Can I cut them off with a torch and grind flat. Do I need to cool them off pereodicaly during welding? How about the seals?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I think a plasma cutter would work better but then again I have never tried it this way.

I did one the old fashioned way...4" grinder, BFH and lots of elbow grease. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

My plasam cutter wont work until I get the three phase hooked up /forums/images/icons/frown.gif . Any one had any trouble with overheating the tubes or melting seals?

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I didn't have to relocate the spring perches on my 14b, but I did have to re-do the shock mounts. Cut the old ones off with a plasma cutter, ground the tube smooth, did some slight mods to the stock mounts that I cut off, and rewelded them on with a MIG welder. I didn't let anything cool or anything...If your just workin on the spring perches and/or shock mounts, Your far enuff away from any seals that you won't have any worries. If you use an Oxy/Actelyne torch,you might want to cut alittle then cool off, cut alittle, cool off.....Just because a torch puts out alot more heat. Try to get ahold of a plasma, or like Wes said....Do it the old fashioned way.....Grinder, cold chisel, and a BFH. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I just came inside from doing mine and a grinder did the trick great!! Just as easy and I didn't have too woory about a thing. Get about 6 cutting blades and two good grinding ones and you'll be set!

6. fbsadmin

fbsadmin Registered Member

I torched off the spring perches and shock mounts of a junk yard 14-bolt, ground it smooth, and welded new ones on. The axle was fine throughout the process and works great on the trail.

7. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

Anyone know where to get new perches?