Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Relocating...where to go from here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fabjunkie, Jun 8, 2006.

1. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

The wife and I want to get out of Houston and head somewhere far away. She grew up in Oklahoma and wants to go back. I lived a few years there growing up and always liked it. It was one of the few places I didn't want to leave during our many moves. I want to go somewhere that I can get a little acreage (5-10 min, the more the better), be close to some good camping/wheeling areas, have four seasons, and be in a more laid back place. I lived in Wyoming during school (Wyotech) and I miss the mountains something dearly(along with the more simple way of life). Being able to drive 20-30 minutes in any direction and be in the middle of nowhere was just bliss to me. Around here, that gets me to another Wal-Mart. :rolleyes:

I have been a draftsman for the last few years, because I enjoy it to a degree and it pays the bills decently. Before that, I worked at a rod shop for a little while after graduating from Wyotech. I'm really wanting to get back into the custom/fabrication industry, but no single part of it specifically. I have a very creative side, am good with my hands and metal, and I feel like I'm throwing my abilities away every day that I'm not using them. The only downside is that it's hard to make any kind of decent money when you're fresh on the scene.

My wife is a claims adjuster, so she can go pretty much anywhere that there is an insurance company with a claims office in the area. She loves me so much that she has told me that she will go wherever I need to go to do what I love to do. The problem is that I don't know where that is. I need to find a place that we can both find work (ahead of time so we're not going in completely blind), and be able to afford to live until I can get off the bottom of the pay scale in the fabrication world. It won't be easy going back in pay, but I feel that it will be worth it in the long run.

Does the brotherhood have any advice? Even if I end up staying in the drafting field to get going, we want to get the hell out of here. Any good recommendations with the qualities I listed above?

2. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

Come on up brother:waytogo: I really like it here in Oklahoma. Got the 4 seasons from 105 degrees to snow. Laid back for sure and you can go pretty much anywere and get land for CHEAP. Cost of living is great, housing is great, girls are great(oops your married:wink1: ). She would have no problem finding a job in Okc or Tulsa. I don't know a whole lot about your field but check the Daily Oklahoma and Tulsa World online and see what's out there for you. Lot's of 4 wheel drives around here and Little Sahara is pretty close. Very low crime too. Only drawbacks I can think of are the roads are in pretty bad shape for the most part but there working on it. Also Tornadoes if you are scared of those types of things. Did I mention the Sooners were here:bow:

3. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

Don't come to Calif. to damn expensive. Heck i am looking at some land in Hockley.

4. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

All I have to say is Stay Away From Kansas. It is flat, and totally boring up here.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I' liek to move to Cali.. But doesn't sound like somewhere you'd like to go. What about CO?

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You don't get drug tested on a regular basis, do you??????????????

7. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: Was born in the SW corner and jumped around the area for a while. NEVER will I go back to the land of the tumbleweed!

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

just go on up to the hill country.... somewhere off of old 90 between austin and san antonio. I love that part of texas

9. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I actually had a lady contact me about a job in Cali the other day. I think I would go back to Kansas first. Colorado might be good if I can find an area where the cost of living isn't too bad.

10. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you want a real change come up here to alaska.there are tons of construction jobs,oil feild work etc.besides anybody we can rescue from texas is a plus

11. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Yeah I have heard from alot of people recently how amazing Alaska is. Cali...............you couldnt pay me enough to move there unless it was on the far northern border near canuckistan. I live in College Station right now and am going to school there and its my new home, lived in Houston with the fam until college, moved here, love it. Just like houston without the psycho drivers, humidity, and misquitos. Another area of Texas that I really like is north east Texas around Tyler and Longview. Again amazing place, 30 minute drive to woods, great hunting, fishing, and offroading, and hills. Goodluck with finding a place that fullfills your dreams and ambitions.

Remington

12. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Where do you live? I used to live in Alva, NW of Enid. If Little Sahara is pretty close, I'm going to guess that you are somewhat in that area.

Where's bubba live? I've often thought of going into law enforcement. Though I hope fondness of sheep isn't a pre-req for that job in OK. :D

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I used to have a job where I would leave on Sunday night for Pennsylvania, then drive all around PA from Monday to Friday, and then head back to Illinois. I LOVED it out there. Nice hills and scenery, nice people, my allergies didn't bother me... and they have the Carlisle car/truck shows and plenty of wheelin'.

I haven't actually lived there, but it appears to be a great place.

14. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Never been to PA. I worked in NC for a couple months one summer and loved it up there too. It would get hot, but not too bad. The scenery was awesome, and it seemed pretty cheap. :thinking:

15. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

fixed it :D

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Do your research. Before moving, you need too know the job market in your field. Also look at cost of living.

17. sikZ28

sikZ28 1/2 ton status

so, are you wanting to go back to drafting?
    if so, what cad packages can you run?

i work for a place that is looking for a few more draftsmen.

p.m. me for the particulars.

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm stashed in an area of the state where I don't have to deal with all the OK wankers that populate this place....................:D

19. sikZ28

sikZ28 1/2 ton status

wow, that almost feels directed at me! :crazy:

20. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

I live in the Yukon/Mustang area which is right outside of Oklahoma City. It's about a 2 hour drive to little sahara so not too far from here. Don't think I would want to live that close in n.w. Oklahoma. Little too desolate there for fun to drive to for a weekend.