Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Relocation to San Francisco area?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by kennyw, Mar 11, 2003.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I am considering a position with my current company in Downtowm S.F. My initial time down there I would be looking for an RV park with full hook ups and trying to use a mass transit system to commute.

I am trying to get an idea of what area to move to that would be a cheap place to live for 1-2 years, fairly decent/low crime rate (dont want a place so bad that my freebe S10 gets stolen), less than an hour commute using bus/train or whatnot...

Any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I am considering a position with my current company in Downtowm S.F. My initial time down there I would be looking for an RV park with full hook ups and trying to use a mass transit system to commute.

I am trying to get an idea of what area to move to that would be a cheap place to live for 1-2 years, fairly decent/low crime rate (dont want a place so bad that my freebe S10 gets stolen), less than an hour commute using bus/train or whatnot...

Any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but that is funny. A cheap place to live less then a hour away from San Francisco.. Thanks I needed a laugh.. I moved out of the Bay area cuse of it. I lived about 20 miles from San Francisco. But it still took over an hour to get there. I know there is a trailer park in San Carlos and I beleave there are a couple in Half moon Bay. Sorry not much help.. But it is extremely expiensive to live up there.. You're best bet is to try and get a place closer to San Jose.. It is a longer commute but is a lot cheaper..

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

About the only input I can give is on the low crime rate. The city of Martinez is pretty nice, but has become a victim of everything else around the area, the housing has shoot through the roof bigtime.

As for commute, that one is funny. When I left, I had a 22 mile commute to work and I could make it in 30 minutes during the offpeak rush hours and 1-1.5 hours during rush hour.

Now I have a 40 mile commute to work and it takes me 35 minutes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. kennyw

Considering I was driving 90 miles to work for over 6 months (1-1/2 hour commute in morning rush/ 2 hour commute on the way home)... I dont mind 45minutes to 1 hour average for rush hour. Heck I would probably find something else to do downtown and wait till the off hours to go back just because I am a country redneck and hate traffic...

I would be looking for a RV site to live in to keep things cheap and keep my good vehicles and toys in Oregon where they are now. No problems in the middle of nowhere as is. I live 200 miles from home now and drive to Bend on the weekends so I dont think most of my expenses would change drastically except about 15-20 cent per gallon gas... I could buy all my food and consumables in Oregon where there is no sales tax (unless CA considers OR residents tax exempt like Washington does?).

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'd say to go with the East Bay like somewhere around Richmond or Pittsburg, or up north past Napa in Windsor or a smaller town like Healdsburg. Not cheap, but cheaper than San Jose by alot and not nearly as much in the thick of the rat race. Either way would be about an hour or so to the city unless you went right in the middle of the rush hour.</font>

6. kennyw

Thanks, for the info! I can look at maps all day and not get any idea what is a good place to look...

7. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

There's a nice trailer park on the border of Milpitas/San Jose (north San Jose). It's kinda near my house. Your commute to the City would be about 1hr from here on the road but if you drive to the bart station in fremont in the morning, it would be longer.
    If you want me to try to pick up some literature from this place, lemme know.
    I don't know about rates but the crime rate is pretty low on this end of town.

8. kennyw

If its not too much trouble to swing by and get some info I will pay postage for you to send it to me.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd say to go with the East Bay like somewhere around Richmond or Pittsburg,

[/ QUOTE ]
    Trying to get him shot or something? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I'll drop by there some time this week end or something. I'll PM you as soon as I have something to offer.

11. Taylor

Taylor 1/2 ton status

The BART is the best way to get in and out of the city, take a look at their web site www.bart.gov
    For example I live in Hayward and it takes 30-35 minutes to get to Embarcadaro, driving even non-rush hour would take over an hour.

12. kennyw

[ QUOTE ]
    Trying to get him shot or something?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not the best place to live huh? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif