Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reloctating Rear Axle

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by DPI, Jan 22, 2001.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Stephen,
    We discussed this on the phone, but I wanted to see what I can do about it. My rear axle was moved forward about 1.0" - 1.5" when I installed the stuff listed below. We talked about a 1" block with relocated pins and holes that would move the axle to the center of the wheel well.
    Is this available?
    Here is my setup:
    I have a 14FF, 4" shackle flip with 4" BDS springs in the rear. The front includes a Dana 60, 5.5" BDS springs, and ORD heavy duty shackles. I wanted the top of my fender wells to be the same heigth from the ground and they were until I filled it with gas. Now the rear sits about 1.75" lower than what I want. So a 1" block thickness would be OK.
    Thanks
    dp

[​IMG]

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

This isn't a big deal to do, but right now isn't a real good time to be starting a new project (no matter how small) here in the shop. We're setting up new equipment, moving stuff, keeping up kind of,.....
    Anyway, I can get something on the list to start on, but can't promise much of a date for it to be done. Life will be much easier once we have the CNC machining in house. How about 3 weeks and we'll see where we are?
    Thanks

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Hey Stephen,

What type of mill are you going with, Fadal, Hass, ect.? Is it your first CNC machine? I used to operate mills and lathes and now I program them for a living. So I was just curious what machine you chose to go with to make your parts?
    Do you already have a CAM package? If you don't you might want to look at Gibbs Cam 2000 (a.k.a. Virtual Gibbs).
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.gibbscam.com/>http://www.gibbscam.com/</A>
    Its a pretty powerful package that can start small and grow with the company. Anway, if you need help programming your parts on the new machine let me know.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] Born to Drive My K5 [​IMG]

4. Stephen

It's a bridgeport 3016 with a fanuc control and we did get the gibbs cad/cam package. Kind of a toss up between the bridgeport and haas, but our tool company deals bridgeport and takes really good care of us so that tipped the scales. I'll keep you in mind if we need a hand, but the really nice thing about the guys we bought it from is they have really awesome customer support, so a lot of that is covered already. Service and advice counts!
    Thanks

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Stephen,
    It has been a little over a month since I brought this up. Can you tell me where you are at on this?

[​IMG]

6. Stephen

Nice timing! Let me look into modifying some of our existing blocks to move the pin location. I'll put it on the list for tomorrow. Right now it's looking like 1.5" may be a minimum for the movement amount. You're going to have to drill a new hole in the ubolt plate for the center bolt head to stick through and it'll have to be away from the vertical leg of the ribs on it.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD