Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reman or New Carb??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Redfrog, Jun 24, 2001.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Has anyone bought one of the reman carbs from holley? I am thinking of getting a edelbrock (spelling) that was remanufactured by holley they are a little cheaper than new.
    or should I just by a new one? any opinions. I have a holley now and it has been junk from day one.

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Your experience with Holley being a POS should tell you to stay away from them.
    Either get a new Qudra Jet from Edelbrock or get a remanufactured Q-jet from a good local parts store. Just stick with the Q-jet it is the best carb around for your K-5.

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I got the new Summit Racing in and they sell reman. Qaudrajets for around $350. Cheaper than a new one from Edelbrock.
    I know it's not everyone's favorite, but I still run My Edelbrock performer 1406 without a problem. It works better off road than the Helley. Nom, I don't point my front end at the north start and if I did I think the qaudrajet would be better than my Performer. It's all in what you do.
    Don't buy the Holley, they absolutely suck offroad - from my experience.
    -- Mike
    -- Mike

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Holleys absolutely suck period except for racing. That's all I'm going to mention about them.

I also run a Performer Series carb. I run the 1404, 500 cfm model. I love it! I wish I knew more about Q-Jets, if I did, I would probably have one. But for now the AFB/Edelbrock style works for me.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    IMO Go yarding for a good used carb, but a rebuild kit and the book "Rochester Carburetors" by doug roe. It tells you how to rebuild and blueprint it correctly (takes about 6-8 hours to do it right) You will have a carb superior to any from a parts store. As a bonus after you blueprint it you will know everything you need to know about these carbs and will be able to fix any problems instead of bringing it back to Autozone for another misrebuilt carb.

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Haha... sorry I always get a chuckle but these guys who buy Holleys and don't know how to tune them. Sorry bout that... my friend was in the same vote so I helped him out since I can play w/ Holleys with my eyes closed. First off I'd buy a good Holley book and try tuning up what you have.... once you get them set in depending what holley you have you can sometimes not mess w/ them too much. I really recomend the new Edlebrock... they are easy as heck to tune and are just great street carbs! Make good poor and seem to for some reason get a little better in the milage....the q-jet style ones get excellent milage and are easier to deal w/ themn the stock stuff IMO. So I guess for the stage you're at (pisted and tired of mess'n w/ carbs) grab the Edelbrock.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Which Edelbrock are you trying to recommend? A squarebore like mine, or a Q-Jet? I was thinking in th future of buying an Edelbrock Q-jet and the Roe book and tuning it up a touch. For now I'm happy with my 1404 though.

Tim

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

If you have the time, rebuild it. A kit is like $20, takes a few hours.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

either one is good... The squarebore on my bud's try was pretty awsome, but a qudrajet unit would probably be a bit more gas efficient..,but they are also rather spendy... so I would just get a stock one redone if you want a quadrajet... but the squarebores are awsome carbs... a pumped up 355 w/ plenty of pep, a 268H comp cams camshaft w/ hyd lifters was getting 15 mpg... It made my buddy one happy guy w/ his 86 4x4

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If I only knew how to make a Q-Jet work, I'd have one. I'm really good with these Edelbrocks though. I've also got the squarebore one, 500 CFM on my HOT 305, and it does just nicely (gets sideways sometimes by accident with 4.10 posi and 35" BFGs!).

Tim