Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Remember the vibration I had?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Apr 15, 2000.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

A while ago, I posted about a vibration I was feeling exactly at 2000rpm. It didn't matter if it was in PRND stopped or speeding. You helpful guys suggested it was either the harm. balancer or the flywheel.

Well, last week I found out it was none of them. My transfercase almost fell to the floor!! The crossmember that holds it has four bolts to the frame. The vibration was caused because these bolts were loose and finally the 2 on the passenger side fell, leaving the transfer case hanging from only two of them! Thank God that crossmember is very strong steel, because the weight of the transfercase was levering on it, oscilating with every little imperfection of the road. Fortunately I was only about 10 miles from home.

I just wanted to share this with you guys that have vibrations. Mine was causing resonance at approximately 33Hz (2000rpm) when the bolts were loose. Once they fell, it was an awful vibration at any speed/rpm. I jacked it up and replaced all four bolts and nuts with grade 5. The nuts have that plastic in the thread that make them very hard to move.

Hope this helps you prevent a disaster.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

PD: See you guys in a week. I'm leaving for a nice Easter vacation at the shore of the bluest sea of my country in the hottest days of the year.

2. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Thanks for writing a follow up response. A lot of people don't do that.