Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

REMINDER! Check it out!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, May 23, 2004.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's Nice to help folks out but put a little thought to things this person may not have done to verify the problem.

I have noticed that a lot of people will jump to conclusions without teaching some of or more novice members how to work on their trucks. More precisely, how to diagnose problems.

Turning a wrench is easy once you know what your fixing. Diagnosing the problem is the hard part. You cannot take for granted that a person is as skilled as you. You need to make sure they have already checked the "dumb stuff".

I just read a post were people were inadvertently leading a very new to mechanical repair person to yanking a MAJOR part of driveline without ever once telling him to take a little time to investigate other possibilities and rule out a few things.

For those of us that know every nut and bolt on our truck you need to remember that most do not. The stuff that we immediately check for on problems before making a repair plan, these people may not have. Simple stuff like getting a little oil and grease on our hands and figureing out what that fulid is. A lot of us would run our finger through that sludge give it a sniff and know "Hmmm leaking x fluid" and never even think about doing it.

I am going to give an example from the post that triggered this post. I am not singling anybody out at all so please don't feel that I am.. The information for the repair that you gave, if that indeed turns out to be the problem, was right on. Just need to take a step back and make sure that person has already done the normal investigation. In this case the guy has not done any of that at all.

Here is what happened:

New guy comes in with fluid dripping form inspection cover over converter. This guys description was lacking a little. It just basically said "leak" and were it was dripping from. And by that description alone this guy is a little green on repairs. That's fine we can help him out but keep that in mind when your making replies.

Over the next few post it leads to yanking transmission and replacing converter seals. NOT ANY OF THE POSTS even told the guy how to determine if the fluid leak was ATF or motor oil. All the old wrenches here know that a Valve cover leaking will make it's way to the inspection cover but not a single post telling the guy to check that first and that's the most common source for leaks showing up at that point.

Anyway I just wanted to remind folks to read between the lines and get a feel for the skill level of people asking for help. Don't forget to teach folks to do the Diagnostic stuff before leading him into the major stuff. Once they learn how to diagnose they will be better off.

People in need of help and advice:

You need to learn how to ask questions as well. Tell us what you have and haven't checked already and how you checked them. Tell us stuff that may be important to solving the problem. A "Bogg" can be many different problems. When does it bogg? Engine hot or just started? This off idle or dropping the hammer to pass? Is the vehicle fuel injected or Carb. All those questions need to be addressed before you can get good advice on how to repair the problem.

If your green that's fine. Let us know so we can teach you some basic stuff and work you up to the harder things. We are here to help and not going to give you a problem for being green. Just don't loose your cool and if you don't understand something ASK. Don't lead us on to make us think you know more then you do. In the end we are going to get frustrated with you and your not going to get the info you need. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

This is good grim, i've seen some of what you are talking about also. Might be a good idea to maybe make this a sticky for a while /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Can I get an AMEN brothers! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Grim!!!! Just like everybody always tells everybody else to get a 14ff or a D60.

5. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

So good, it needs to go back to the top. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Very good point grim. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Might be a good idea to maybe make this a sticky for a while /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Agreed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

since i see no sticky, BTT

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Good Idea /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

11. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Me thinks this should be a sticky for a few weeks. Well said!
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

13. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Sounds good. Can I get a whoa Bundy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

We all had to start somewhere ...

Bump. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif