Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reminder: Check You're Bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Oct 30, 2006.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'm just posting this as a reminder. If you haven't checked or re-tightened them in a while go do so.

I went out to look at mounting options for some anti-wrap bars and I noticed my pass rear shock moved. I found that the bolt on the axle wasn't more than a thread from coming off. THEN I find the top mount on the frame was broke and had pulled through the frame.

This lead me to checking everything else while I was under there. The front was all good and the rest of the shocks were fine but the rear ubolts were SCARY. they all tightened quite a bit and one I could spin with my hand:eek1::eek1:

so this is just my reminder to everyone----GO CHECK YOU'RE BOLTS

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

i just want to add that if you have something that keeps loosening up it's probably time to replace the fasteners with new. I lost all the bolts holding my tranny crossmember to the frame while on the trail once. Luckily my buddy was able to find most of them within a 1/4 mile of the truck.

I had probably re-tightened those bolts a half dozen times before. I replaced them all with new stuff and they never backed off again.

Rene

3. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I check all my u bolt's and grease all the suspension fittings and u-joint/axle joints before every run . I carry spares too . lot's of shackle bolts :D .

4. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yup... about a month ago, I noticed my rear ubolt was waaaay loose, about 1/4" of falling off the ubolt :eek1: so I tightened that and everything else. It must've been a good 2 years since I looked at them. Now I'm in the habit of checking more often. I'm swapping out springs and axles, and saving the good bolts and fasteners for them. So no need for me to replace what's already on the truck.