Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reminder to Check Lug Nuts!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cmoe, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Well everyone it happened on last Monday......Iwas driving down the road and lost some lugs on my front right tire ..... two broken studs.......lost 4 of the 6 lugs on that tire..........I need to replace my lug nutsand studs all around......... Check yours befor this happens to you........

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

2. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I just got new rims and I guess I didn't tighten all the lugs on the passenger rear wheel and 2 lugs snapped while also bending the other four. Had to replace them all. So I do recommend to check your lugs often.

Adam
    79' Jimmy
    3.08's(sucks)
    35's(Bigfoot MT's)
    Np 205, th350, 12B, 10B
    3" suspension lift

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

From what I understand.
    New rims need to be retorqued in the first 100 miles (maybe even less!) and again in the next 500 miles. The rims will loosen when they take a "seat", so the lug nuts will also be loose. This information should have been presented when the new rims were purchesed. This is very imortent information. I have personaly seen it cause some VERY expensive damaged!

Please, remeber to retorque new cast/forged rims!

<font color=white>It's good to be out</font color=white>
    <font color=white>Out of my mind and out of control</font color=white>
    <font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue>

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Mine aren't new and a the guy next door saw someone walking away from my truch on Sunday when he got home from the bars.....He didn't see anything wrong and I didn't see him till today......SOmeone may have liked my combo (tires and wheels)..........

C'moe

5. motorheadnelson

motorheadnelson Registered Member

That happened to me once after leaving the tire store...over 1k worth of wheels and tires, and twenty miles...thought I lost a wheel bearing....pulled over and it dropped on the spindle..I walked down the road and picked up the lug nuts. The service manager about loaded his drawers when I called...chit happens, man..I watched them use a torque wrench....

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I had a similar thing happen to me. back in 92 I was gonna drop my Cherokee and took the 40s off and had 31s on it ( w/ 17 inches of lift!! Looked real goofy!! ) About 2-3 weeks later, still hadnt dropped it yet, I was driving down HWY 301 and thot I had a wheel bearing heading south and kept going to my dads shop and came close to loosing my right rear wheel.

Never had a prob. w/ someone trying to steal the 40s but put on a set of wheels and tires that are more "common" size and someone tried to lift em pretty kwik!

I get all the excercise I need pushing my luck![​IMG]

7. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks for your Tip C'moe..
    The 89 I just picked up .. started to vibrate in the front end.. after putting just 70 miles on it since yesterday..
    Get home.. check the lug nut's.. they are all loose..
    Thought of your tip when that started happening...
    Appreciate it..

Round Rock, Texas I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</a>

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Thought I'd inject a little humor into an otherwise serious post:

A few month ago we had to get a new tire put on our wheelbarrow at work. The invoice that came with the bill had been stamped in big red letters with the following- "Please ensure that you retorque your lug nuts after 100kms of driving". After we all giggled for about 15 minutes, we phoned the tire shop and asked the tech how long it takes an average wheelbarrow to go that far. Apparently, he had put the bill into the tire repair inbox and the girl at the front desk hadn't looked to see what it was for!!!!!

Anyhow, just thought I'd share a funny......

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</a>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Glad that you caught them before you lost or screwed anything up yet...... I'm keeping it in my monthly check up as of last week......

C'moe