Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Remington 870 mounted to M4....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, May 25, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[​IMG]

My initial reaction, "badass".

Let it sink in and think again.... "that has to kick like a mule, and I can't see it possibly being effective in close range combat, and useless at range..."

2. originalspanksta

originalspanksta 1/2 ton status

LOOKS LIKE A 'CHOP.....not very ergonomic to reach the shotgun...

3. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Ahem... yes, it kicks like a mule... about as hard as an M203 grenade launcher... you use the magazine as a pistol grip to fire it. As for combat effectiveness... If you had just entered a building you knew to be full of insurgents, and you knew that behind the wall you were looking at with 3 armed bastards turning your way were 5 children huddled in fear, would you:

A. Fire the .223 round through your target, through the wall, and possibly hit a child....

-or-

B. Fire the 00 buckshot scatter gun underneath and make sure none of your projectiles get close to the scared kids... meanwhile blowing your enemy to smitherines...

It's not designed for "range" combat... it is designed for urban warfare... there used to be a guy on a fireteam who always packed the 870 riot gun by itself... now they can put the firing parts under an M4 or M16 instead of a nade launcher... allowing the Shotgunner to have a range weapon AND a riot gun. I should mention however, that the M203 also has a shotgun shell available, but the cost outweighs the benefit... and it kicks like 2 mules. Personally, I'll take an M4 and a M1911 or M9 silenced over a double gun.

On another side note, the barrel length of that shotgun is about 10 inches... which means it would miss a squirrel at 20 yards, but be GREAT for a 5-10 foot shot indoors.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

have you handled one? How do you accurately handle it when using the .223? Hold the shotgun?

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Not a new idea. The Indian in Predator carried a similiar setup :D

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I wouldn't think it would kick too bad considering how much it has to weigh

It's be nice if someone researched enough to integrate them more ergonomically

8. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Maybe the 870 is for breaching doors? Although the M4's barrel looks to be kinda in the way for that....Ahh **** it, I'd rock that gun(s).

9. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

All that PhoenixZorn said...

12GA CQB tool for Marines, LAPD SWAT in South Central L.A.

I could work it with practice.

I want one. :D

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

However, there is a reason that most urban law enforcement entry teams don't usually take a shotgun along. They are notoriously inaccurate. Most urban entry teams rely on a sub gun, like an H&K MP5 in 9mm, G36C in 5.56, Colt M4 Commando in 5.56, etc. Frankly, in a U.S. setting a Remington 870 with 3 inch magnum shells sporting OO buck isn't going to help you stay away from penetrating flimsy sheetrock, or sometimes even a person. Most SWAT teams rely on shot placement instead of the round to protect them from potential collateral damage. However, if I was in Iraq, or similar, I would probably be less concerned with "innocents" and the 870 would be a good option. There is certainly less media scrutiny overseas and determining "non-combatants" is a bit fuzzier.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

most shotguns are plenty accurate at close range. I know on TV a guy shoots a legal bbl length shotty and gets a 3' wide "circle of death" pattern at 10 feet... but all the shotguns Ive ever shot were a hell of a lot tighter-patterned than that in normal close quarters combat distances.

j

12. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Well, I beg to differ on the definition of accurate then. A person proficient with an MP5 is going to fair a lot better than the person proficient with a 12 guage at any range in shot placement. a 9mm or 5.56 round is usually going to end up exactly where you aim it. A 00 buck round is going to vary every shot. Try bench resting an M4 and pump round after round into a target. What do you get? a very small hole in the same place. Bench rest an 870 and pump several rounds and you'll see the pattern change every time. As I said, most every SWAT team uses a 9mm, .40, .223, etc. for their entries when they are going to engage a bad guy. If you don't particularly care where the rounds end up, a shotgun is quite effective. There are even LE agencies that go as far as prohibiting officers from taking a shotgun indoors on a call.