Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Remote and multiple filters

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, May 5, 2000.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm curious about everyone's opinions on the remote filters for transmissions you can get, and the remote/multiple engine oil filter setups. The multiple-filter setup is a good idea as I see it, especially if you're going to do the synthetic oil/long-oil-change-interval thing. The remote trans filter I'm not quite so sure about. Anyone have positive or negative experiences or opinions?
    BTW, the aircraft I work and fly on has multiple-filter setups on all the fluid systems.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

don't want to fly...just pop the botton on the bottom...hehehehehehehe

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I see 2 positives about the remote filter systems, 1) it increases fluid capacity and gets more external lines from the transmission causing the fluid to cool more, and 2) you can replace the external filter 1/2 way through your fluid change to keep the inside of the tranny cleaner.
    you could also strap on one of those filter magnets or filter fins to keep the filter cooling better or to keep the metal fragments at the outside edge of the filter.
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

4. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

I think running dual filters is the way to go. I run them on my blazer. I use a by-pass filtration system that filters down to 1 micron and also removes moisture for my engine oil. I use Moble 1 oil and change it once a year. I reciently checked my compression and found it was 175 all the way across. Not bad for an engine with only 165,000. On my trans. I run a inline fullflow filter. Just make sure it has a by-pass valve built into the filter. None of this is much good if you dont have some way of cooling down your oil. I run a B&M cooler on my engine oil and a Earls performance cooler for my tranny. Hope this can help.

Don McKinney

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

4xmac, what brand of remote setup do you run, and what brand of filters? In the Summit catalog I've seen Summit's own, Perma-Cool, and TD Performance, but I'm sure there's others.

Hey Eagle, don't give my secrets away! hehehe...
    Occasionally, when the...uh...cyclic stick actuator ...isn't working quite right, I'll "find" one of the filter buttons "popped" and have to order parts and get dirty. "Well gee, sir, I know you came in tonight after flying that MD-80 for 8 hours, but the button's popped and that's a downer. Really sorry, sir. No, there isn't a backup aircraft tonight."

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

6. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

The inline filter for the transmision is called Filtran and is sold by Nappa auto parts. The by-pass filltration unit is made by Ansoil ( filter BP-90 ) and can be found at a race shop. Hope this helps.

Don McKinney

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Were would you mount a dual filter for the motor?? Keep in mind that I bash my undercarage on the trail so the trailer queens that have chrome filters hanging under the front bumper is NOT an option for me. But the thought of extra fluid/cooling does sound appealing. Do the filters need to be at a certain level or can you mount them high up on the frame some were???
    Thanks for the info.....

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

8. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

High or low, it doesn"t matter. The engine oil pressure will move the oil. Try to keep your lines as short as possible.

Don McKinney