Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

remote fuel sump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Apr 28, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a Summit 20 gallon aluminum fuel cell and was trying to figure out a way to make sure fuel always gets to the engine. I thought about adding a sump to the cell... but then I thought, why not make a "remote sump". I was searching Summit and found these cool Mr. Gasket fuel coolers...

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MRG%2D1350&N=314959+115&autoview=sku

its about the right size too. I'd mount my cell in the bed of my rig... and the cooler below the bed. I'd run hose from the cell's sump to the upper fitting on the cooler... and then run the bottom fitting on the cooler to the fuel pump. Not sure how much capacity one of these things has, but it is pretty good sized. As fuel sloshed around or the angles got nasty for a minute, the engine could drink from the cooler temporarily... when things got back to normal, the rest of the fuel in the cell would go back to doing its thing.

I don't really care about the cooling aspect of the thing... its just the cheapest all aluminum "can" of any type that I have seen. ;)

So what's the verdict, good plan or dumb idea? lol!

j

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

great idea. i think it needs to have two fuel pumps though. one pushing into the surge tank, one drawing from surge tank to engine. have a return from the surge to the main cell, and have the engine (if its a return based engine) return to the surge tank. that would eliminate relying on gravity to feed the second tank.

but i dunno how well sealed those fuel cooiling cans are. and i dunno about the size, but id have it be 1/2 gallon or bigger. think they sell actuall 1 gallon fuel cells, so that might work better with less fab.

3. jekbrown

this rig is currently carbed... only fuel pump I have is up front. ;)

As far as sealing goes... they probably aren't any worse than the fill-cap would be on a 2nd cell. My biggest worry would be capacity. if its just a spiral of tube inside that can, it can't hold much. I was thinking something in the half-gallon range would be fine... I can drive 5 miles on half a gallon, and its hard to imagine at some point some gas from the cell wouldn't get splashed down the hose into the cool can anyway.

j

4. jekbrown

ummm... bump?

j

5. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

That is a couple feet of tube coiled up inside an aluminum can...

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yup, just hardline in there coiled up, no volume... you put ice in it... they've been around forever, real popular back in the 70's...

7. jekbrown

well, there has to be SOME volume... just not enough though eh. Hmmm... I guess if I had a piece of big (ie 6" in dia) aluminum tube I could cap the ends and add a couple of fittings. Question is, where do you buy small quantities of big AL tube? :confused:

j

8. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status