Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Remote oil filter lines leak

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by ChevBlazin, Mar 14, 2002.

1. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

My dad has a 96 S-10 blazer w/ the 4.3. The oil lines that go from the motor to the remote mounted oil filter always leak. He had them replaced at 25k, 50k, 76k, and now they leak again at 105 thousand miles. They leak were the fittings hook onto the line. Does anyone know of an alternative line or remote filter set up for these trucks to eliminate this problem. It's hard to work on and cost's $300 every time to get fixed. Any suggestions?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Do those come with a remote filter? does it need it?

I think your best bet would be AN lines. A race shop should be able to help you out. AN lines are what they use on Jets (and race cars but they were desined for the airfore and navy jets...hence AN).

3. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

I am going through this with my wife's 2001 Blazer. It only has 40K but it is on it's fourth trip back to the dealer. Mine appears to leak around the oil filter. I actually did a couple oil changes before I convinced myself that it wasn't just leaking around the filter. They have replaced the lines that go from the remote mount to the cooler. I don't think that fixed it, because the leak never went away. Now they are saying that the front pinion seal is the source of all of the oil that accumulates inside the plastic skidplate.

Are your lines leaking at the filter end or at the engine end?

I hope that this problem doesn't keep re-occuring like yours, that sucks. At least mine is still covered under warranty.

If I get any answers from my dealer next week when I pick it back up on why this seem to be such a problem, I will let you know. (They are being much nicer to me than they were to wife when she took the truck in earlier this week-it is amazing how that happens when you know what you are talking about)

4. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

Yeah, they need them if it is 4 wheel drive.
    I remember the first time I changed the oil on the wife's 2001.
    It's a 4.3--3/4ths of a small block. I figured the filter would be the same spot as on a small block. I get up under there and all I see is the remote housing and the front driveshaft right where the oil filter shoud be.
    Although the filter location is convenient for changint the oil, It is not in an ideal location from a 4 wheelers perspective. The oil filter is under the radiator covered only by a plastic skidplate. Oh well, when I go fourwheeling, I have the K5 for that.

5. Mudrock

Mudrock Registered Member

Bringing up an old topic here but it sounds like you might be able to help me. I have full size with the 4.3L in it and have a leak around the oil filter. From what you describe the filter on the S-10 is removed away from the engine. On my truck it is attached to the engine but there are cooling lines attached to the adapter plate. These seam to be leaking and everyone I talk to says with animation "Don't tighten them down too much!" Well how much is too much? Should I just get a new set? Thanks in advance for your advice.