Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Remote solenoid conversion?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Jimmy, Jun 30, 2002.

1. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

After 3 yrs of no starter issues, I'm on my third starter...Flowtech headers, tried a homemade shield to augment the factory one...Dang thing won't start most times after I drive it a ways, so I carry a prod to knock it around some when it acts up, which seems to work most of the time...using an El Cheepo started from the Zone...I found the remote kit from Summit (Mr Gasket) for $35, but I was wonderin' about how to go about wiring in a F-rod solenoid like a couple guys in here have done...I'm open for any Tips, Comments, Questions, or Snide Remarks... TIA... /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I had starter probs until I got an AC Delco starter. Had a heat shield all along, went thru 3 starters. Since the AC, have had zero problems. I've seen posts where guys will say they've had cheapo starters with no problems, but I think when you start having 'em, the starter gods require a Delco solution. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I read that in one of your other posts...Thinkin' I'm gettin' rapidly sucked in that direction...Thanks, and where did you get yours?....starter, that is.....

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i did the remote solenoid on my K5. it was easy. u just hafta move around 3 wires. i mounted mine on my passenger side fender

NITRO

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

let me know what you come up with. i am in the same boat. i have had my headers on for about 6,000 miles with no shield and no problem. then, this weekend, it wouldn't start after stopping. had to bang it a few times with a BFH. after sitting and cooling, it does fine. it is the original starter. I need to solve this situation. most tell me to just dump the headers and go back to manifolds.

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Hmmm...I've got a top of the line Napa starter and am running headers without problems. I don't have a heatshield on the starter. Depends on the clearence too I guess. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

If you use the ford solinoid then change it about every 6 months cause from what I understand, they do bad things. I've heard about a ford van burning to the ground cause of it, there was a guy in highschool who's ford burned and burned the brand new camaro beside him and another pickup on the other side. I've heard lots and lots of stories. Do some research on the solinoids. Parts stores don't just sell chevy solinoids /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

JD, I got the starter from GM. P/N 1876555. My rig's a 76 K5 with a 350 engine.

I've spoken to a few veteran mechanics who told me having a heat shield is enough, no need for a remote starter. So far they've been right. Once I replaced my starter with the Delco, it's been great. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did the remote solenoid thing about 2 years ago. The solenoid is fine /forums/images/icons/confused.gif and i don't recall a rash of spontaneously burning fords around here either. *shrug*

My truck will start when hot even with a very old and tired starter. It's a good mod that fixes a poorly thought out starter wiring from GM. I also wired in a separate start button so if it's particularly cranky I can spin the motor over without power to the ignition and then turn the key to 'on'.

As for Chev solenoids, I have bought them separately before. IIRC about $13 or so.

If you do decide on a Ford style solenoid get the kit from Summit. I sourced my own parts and spent roughly twice what the Summit kit would have cost me /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Rene

9. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Go with the remote Ford solenoid kit! I got mine from M.A.D. Enterprises here in California...he sells a great kit that comes with everything you need. The install is simple...mine is also on the passenger fender...I've had it on there for about 5 years with not one problem yet! I used to have the hot-start issues, got tired of it and went with the much better designed Ford style. Like Rene said, this is a very poorly designed GM starter/solenoid system...go with the better Ford style and you'll be much happier...

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I also wired in a separate start button so if it's particularly cranky I can spin the motor over without power to the ignition and then turn the key to 'on'.

[/ QUOTE ] Pretty darn clever idea /forums/images/icons/grin.gif !

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Thanks...the original reason I did that was cuz the switch in the column fried/forums/images/icons/smile.gif Adding a starter button was much easier to do than fix the switch. Being able to spin it over without power to the ignition was a nice side benefit. It also confuses would be car thiefs...and any friends that want to borrow my truck./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

12. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif F-rods Burned to the ground??!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif ...I'm thinkin' maybe they just Spontaniously Combusted themselves when they saw how Bad they looked parked next to a Chevy.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

(I'm thinkin' that "shocked" smiley looks a little too much like Smilin' Like A Donut................knowudImeen?)