Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Remote solenoid?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    anybody ever use one of these ? I just lost another starter and am sick of it. Or should I just get a heat shield for it? It's a "fairly" stock SBC with hooker headers. Also, could somebody tell me how to run new wires to my alternator, starter, battery, and wherever the wires go when they wrap around the back of the motor? Mine is a hacked up wraped in electrical tape POS that is upsetting me.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't help with the starter issue really, sorry. I might suggest one of the newer gear drive units though. Much smaller, which if nothing else, keeps them further away from the headers.

As to the wiring, if I were to re-wire a truck, I'd run the wires up the passenger side of the motor (on the intake) and snake them down the front, behind the alternator. Check your + battery cable, and see if it's held to a stud on the oil pan. If so, you can fit all the starter wires into that clip (I can on mine) which keeps them out of the way really well, and easy to see/get to if you ever need to.

If you have a wrecking yard near you, I'd suggest finding another trck that isn't hacked up, and grabbing the harness from it. Worst case, you de-pin the firewall connector, best case, you find one exactly like yours, and take the connector too.

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

That remote solenoid looks like what we used to do years ago and run a Ford solenoid inline before your stock starter solenoid. I used to have a problem with a starter on a Datsun pickup with a Corvette motor stuffed in the nose. After puttin in the Ford solenoid all was well as the Ford solenoid kicked out just enough more juice to make the starter work.
    As for the wiring I second dyeager and find a donor truck in a junkyard or somethin like that. Good luck to y'all.

Allan

4. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Ever thought of using a gear reduction starter????
    best thing ever for eliminating starting problems. (IMHO)

Also routing the starter cable and solenoid wires forward along the oil pan rail up to the battery and then extending the small wires back to the firewall gets the wiring away from the heat of the headers. Most gear reduction starters can also be clocked to keep the solenoid away from the headers.

5. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I'm running one now. I never lost a starter, but I would have starter problems after cruising for a while. Got this installed and haven't had a problem since /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Cheryle,

Get some liquid electrical tape onto your connectors to prevent them from corroding. It works great. Otherwise a good setup you got there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Heres mine!!

[​IMG]

7. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Get some liquid electrical tape onto your connectors to prevent them from corroding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of it /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I will look for some on my next trip to the parts store.

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

My solution for heat soaked starters. Heat soaked transmissions and transfercases. Heat soaked fuel lines and brake lines. Oh yeah don't forget the wiring down there also.

[​IMG]

Maybe it a little bit around and out of the way but it works...