Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Remote Start install.....

Discussion in 'Audio' started by blackls1z, Nov 11, 2004.

1. blackls1z

blackls1z Registered Member

Has anyone here ever installed a remote starter on their K5? I've installed stereo's but never a remote starter and the instructions aren't all that clear. The question I have is on 2 of the harnesses on the remote starter (which I'll show below). On the 1st harness they are all outputs so my question is....Using the ignition wires on both harnesses for example. Would I cut the trucks ignition wire....connect the ignition side wire to the input ignition wire on the remote starter (16pin harness) and connect the other wire to the output ignition wire (5pin harness)?
    5-Pin Harness (this harness has 5 relays)
    Pin 1 ORANGE WIRE: Accessory Output for heater/air conditioner(negative) to activate external relay
    Pin 2 YELLOW WIRE: Ignition 1 output (negative) to activate external relay.
    Pin 3 VIOLET WIRE: Starter Output (negative) to activate external relay
    pin 4 BROWN WIRE: Ignition 2 output (negative) to activate external relay.
    pin 5 RED WIRE: +12V Power to external relays.
    16-Pin Main Harness
    Pin 6 YELLOW WIRE: +12V Ignition Input. The Yellow wire must connect to a main ignition wire at the
    ignition harness.
    I deleted the other pins to save space......

Any help would be much appreciated. I just want to make sure I do it right.

2. barryb

barryb Registered Member

none of the truck wires run thru the remote start. all the wires from the remote start just need to be "tapped" to the truck , in parallel . the input for the remote start is so the remote start can pull constant power to send out to the truck, all a remote start is is another start/ignition switch wired in parallel to the factory one.

3. blackls1z

I actually called the manuf. of the remote starter last night and got the same response....I think....Abu could hardly speak a lick of english. Thanks for confirming what I thought he was telling me /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

If you lay it out, maybe by drawing it on a piece of paper it is very simple. As already said it is just another ignition circuit. So pressing the button on the remote is the same as turning your key on the column. Except when I install them I don't tap into heater and accesories. Just give what is necessary to run the truck power. Such as the starter, coil, computer, etc... I have done a couple of them and all vehicles seem to be a little different in how the circuits are setup.

Once you have it working correctly you will see how simple it is.

I usually don't have much luck with tech lines regarding electronic products.

-Chris

5. blackls1z

Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated. I think if the instructions had a picture of the layout it would be much easier to follow. I guess where my confusion comes in is that I guess I don't understand relays all that well and what their function is. When I see that one harness taps into the ignition and then I see another harness also tapping into ignition....It got me thinking as to whether or not tapping into them was the right thing to do. Our vehicles don't have an ignition 2 wire do they?

6. louied

louied Registered Member

i have one and i do it for a living,

if you still need help let me know,

i also have mine put up the windows and i can lower them with a push of a button

Louied