Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Remote Start Questions......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Beast388, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I am looking to put a remote start system in my wife's '97 Grand Caravan for a Christmas present.

Can any of you recommend a brand and model of system that is around a $100? Her van already has a remote to control the power locks etc. Are they very invloved to install?

Thanks for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Far as I know you need an aftermarket alarm with the remote output. I had my remote system installed with the brain for $160 for my K5. I already had an aftermarket alarm though. I think that is a good gift if she is into that. I love it! I like firing it up when it's near a crowd at a party and with my loud exhaust it scars the [darn] out of anyone near it. It is nice though when it's hot and you can fire it up from inside and move from the air conditioned house to the air conditioned K5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Oh, and I don't know the brand but especially with electronics like that, you get what you pay for and they are a PITA to install if you haven't done it before. Mine is wired so if someone tries to shift or step on the brakes it will shut off if no keys are in the ignition. Plus it turns on my lights too. There is a lot of splicing and wiring involved.

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm going to get my wife's installed next weekend. I figured since I took up all the garage (1 car) with my junk and she has to park outside, it's the least I could do. I went to circuit city and am getting a full alarm system since I wanted the panic horn thingy cause she works in a less desirable city. Anything to make her safer is good with me. It has remote start and everything for $180 installed. They had a remote start only "easy do it yourself" version for $120, but the package was clear. Through that clear package, the harness looks like hella work to install. When I asked Circuit city how long it would take to install the other one, they said 6 hours. To me that translates into about 24 hours, maybe 48 hours if Dan helps. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif So I'm gonna let them install the damn thing and be done. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif