Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Remote start w/ Carb....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

2. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

id check out full size chevy, the crowd over here is probaly not into it as much as the guys over at fsc

3. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

probaly not going to work very well with the whole carb/choke/ idle thing .I'd say save your money for more "practical" upgrades.

4. Avery4jc

Oh I know, I wouldn't do it now but after gears/tranny/tires the truck will be mechanically sound and it's always fun to dream about the little touches that you can do.

Oh and why wouldn't it work with the "whole carb/choke/idle thing"? The choke is automatic (when its cold) and I set the idle properly because the truck idles quickly in the morning then as it warms up it drops down. Then through the rest of the day when I start it up I don't do anything but turn the key and it fires right up with no other input from me and idles like a dream.

Yeah I figured I might be in the wrong place for this, maybe www.truckaddicts.com might be able to point me in the right direction.

-Avery

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Choke is supposed to need the throttle kicked to work right, thats why remote starts don't work well (typically) on carbed applications.

This of course, is assuming a Q-jet.

6. yellowK20

it's not that its a bad idea it's just you could do other things to make the truck better with that money. why do you want remote start???? for the Novelty of it??? I have it on my Burb and my superduty but rarely use it only if it is really cold and I don't want to go outside to start them. if you do install one be careful with were you put your remote/keys while working on your truck I had mine in my front pocket while putting a new fan belt on the burb and it started when I went to lean over the core support!! luckily my hands were not in the way but it damn sure tore up some stuff including the brandnew belt that wasn't completely on yet

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have it on my K5. It works just fine when the truck is warmed up. It won't engage the electric choke so you can't use it when it's cold.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why are you giving him a bad time about it? It's a cool feature. With the carb it won't work for the cold mornings but it works great for our California summer. I'd start my K5 from inside a building and would leave the A/C on when I shut the truck off, then I jumped into a cooled down truck.

It's just plain fun too. I don't know how many girls I made pee themselves in high school as they walked by and two 40 series through headers lit up.

No, it doesn't help you crawl over a bigger rock, but not everything needs to be about that.

9. yellowK20

I'm not giving him a hard time it's just that he's always saying he's on X-budget and needs to do Y-things to his truck . I was just saying put the money Towards something more nescassry or go Fuel Injection so it will work properly I have it on 2 vehicles and rarely use it even with the heat and cold we get hear. Plus I've seen those things malfunctioin quite a bit(and no not just on my Vehicles) and if they were not tied into my Alarm remote I wold most likely remove them . Even though they are pretty "cool" to have

10. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I have remote start on my 70 K5, and it has only cost me about 30K to date-

Two teenage boys!!!!!:D

11. Avery4jc

Don't worry man just because I discuss something doesn't mean that I'm going to run out and buy it tonight or anything. It came up because my school is in a rough area and I was thinking about getting an alarm and with an alarm I could do remote start. So it has it's purpose.

-Avery

12. yellowK20

Remote start with an alarm thats a good idea. you could also rig up a home brewed anti-theft in conjunction with your alrm like a remote battery disconnect for the cable going to the starter or some other hidden disconnects on my yellow chevy I have 2 main disconnects one on the rear bumper and one under the middle of the seat in the cab turning off either one of these will prevent that truck from being started .

don't get me wrong remote start is cool just may want to be on the "later list"

13. Avery4jc

Absolutely, I agree that it needs to be later. At least after I get my gearing and transmission issues taken care of. I also have a remote disconnect setup on the truck. A small push button switch under the carpet right underneath the fuse box that kills the ignition. So even if you break in and try to hot wire it it'll turn over but will never start.

I like that but it's a pain and sometimes if I don't push it all the way I'm sitting there in the mornings thinking it's too cold to start when in reality it just didn't get pushed all the way which makes me not use it all the time. So an alarm would be a less "ghetto" way of slowing down theft.

-Avery