Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Remote Starter Install.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blackls1z, Nov 12, 2004.

1. blackls1z

blackls1z Registered Member

Has anyone here ever installed a remote starter on their K5? I've installed stereo's but never a remote starter and the instructions aren't all that clear. The question I have is on 2 of the harnesses on the remote starter (which I'll show below). On the 1st harness they are all outputs so my question is....Using the ignition wires on both harnesses for example. Would I cut the trucks ignition wire....connect the ignition side wire to the input ignition wire on the remote starter (16pin harness) and connect the other wire to the output ignition wire (5pin harness)?
    5-Pin Harness (this harness has 5 relays)
    Pin 1 ORANGE WIRE: Accessory Output for heater/air conditioner(negative) to activate external relay
    Pin 2 YELLOW WIRE: Ignition 1 output (negative) to activate external relay.
    Pin 3 VIOLET WIRE: Starter Output (negative) to activate external relay
    pin 4 BROWN WIRE: Ignition 2 output (negative) to activate external relay.
    pin 5 RED WIRE: +12V Power to external relays.
    16-Pin Main Harness
    Pin 6 YELLOW WIRE: +12V Ignition Input. The Yellow wire must connect to a main ignition wire at the
    ignition harness.
    I deleted the other pins to save space......

Any help would be much appreciated. I just want to make sure I do it right.

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Doesn't sound like much fun to me at all. Maybe you can try the Audio forum on this board?

I'll bet the answer would already be on fullsizechevy.com.

3. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

You should not need to use Pin 4 (Brown wire). It is supplied for the newer vehicles that have 3 or more ignition wires.

All your outputs are negative triggers for a relay. By what you posted the pin 5 (red wire) is the positive supply for all relays. Hopefully you have some experience with relays, otherwise you are in for a few headaches. I usually buy remote starters with onboard relays, makes everything much easier.

First off, you need 3 relays.

Relay one:
    Pin 86 - Pin 1 ORANGE WIRE
    Pin 85 - pin 5 RED WIRE
    Pin 30 - Connect inline to ORANGE wire in vehicle ignition
    Pin 87 - Connect to RED wire in vehicle ignition harness

Relay two:
    Pin 86 - Pin 2 YELLOW WIRE
    Pin 85 - pin 5 RED WIRE
    Pin 30 - Connect to PINK wire in vehicle ignition harness

Relay 3:
    Pin 86 - Pin 3 VIOLET WIRE
    Pin 85 - pin 5 RED WIRE
    Pin 30 - Connect to YELLOW wire in vehicle ignition harness

[ QUOTE ]
    16-Pin Main Harness
    Pin 6 YELLOW WIRE: +12V Ignition Input. The Yellow wire must connect to a main ignition wire at the
    ignition harness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like this wire is an input to the remote starter brain telling it that there is power supplied to the ignition. I would connect this inline to the PINK wire in the vehicle ignition harness.

Good luck and don't blame me if your truck blows up /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

VERY IMPORTANT: CONFIRM ALL VEHICLE WIRES WITH A MULTIMETER PRIOR TO CONNECTION!!!!

Use this site if you have problems:
    the12volt

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

do you have an alarm? I have remote start on my K5 and the module is plugged into the starter port on my alarm.

I can't help you much on the wiring. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif You will like having remote start. FI you are carbed it won't work unless your K5 starts easy when warm, in the morning you can forget about it because of the choke, after it's warm it works flawlessly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

im interested in gettin a remote satrt for my carbed blazer, know of a type/brand thatll work ? thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My set up. The wires from the starter reached this location without needing extending. I also rerouted the alternator wiring and used Circuit breakers instead of fusible links. Works great and was swapped off my K-10 that ran it for many years. Was a NAPA heavy duty solenoid.
    Just ignore the battery isolator it is a separate system.

[​IMG]

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    im interested in gettin a remote satrt for my carbed blazer, know of a type/brand thatll work ? thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can find one that'll pump the gas pedal for you...

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can find one that'll pump the gas pedal for you...

[/ QUOTE ]I'm running a q-jet with remote start and it works great when the motor is warm and mine starts without any pedal assist. It won't work when stone cold because I have to push the pedal to activate the choke.

9. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Why not use a throttle solenoid on a carbed blazer. Like the ones used for A/C. I think they are $80 in Summit.

10. dontoe

Doh!!!!!!!

Bit off da mark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starter not solenoid! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Doh!!!!!!!

Starter not solenoid! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean use a throttle solenoid to open the throttle on a carb if you want to use a remote start. You could tie it into the remote start circuit that powers the ignition system

12. dontoe

[ QUOTE ]
    Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doh!!!!!!!

Starter not solenoid!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mean use a throttle solenoid to open the throttle on a carb if you want to use a remote start. You could tie it into the remote start circuit that powers the ignition system

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant my 2 cents worth was a bit off the mark. I understood at first he wanted to hookup a remote solenoid and the discussion was about remote starter system. Doh !!!!!