Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Remote Trans cooler question.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RingMaster4x4, Jun 11, 2002.

1. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

/forums/images/icons/confused.gif what size remote trans cooler do I need to use for a th350? I am still having motor cooling problems. I have been told that the AC condencer that I am using as a Tranny cooler could be the problem. I only have cooling problems when I am going down the road at highway speed. Any input is greatly needed and thanks for the help.

2. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

I would use a 28K GVW unit from B&M - stacked plate design used for motor homes. If you are still having engine cooling problems after you install this monster, you may have other issues. Is your thermostat functioning properly? Radiator hoses in good shape and not collapsing under load? Fan clutch? Radiator circulating and fins clean? Water pump? Block clean? Can you idle indefinitely and not heat up?

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I like the stacked plate type (as opposed to the fin and tube type) like B&M make. I have the largest one they make that comes with the install kit and it worked fine even when I had my 3.73 gears and 36" tires.

4. RingMaster4x4

Yes my thermostats (my tall deck 427 has 2 side-by-side) are working right.the radiator hoses are good and I have no mechanical fan. Only the dual 14 in. elec. permacool fan which pull about 6000 CFM. The radiator fins are clean but it may need to be cleaned out (the cores that is). Water pump works as far as I can tell. Is there a good way to check it? Block is clean. I have let it idle for a hour and it did not over heat.

5. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like your circulation is adequate to cool the engine when not under load, but the big block is overworking the system when walkin' and talkin'. What type of radiator do you have? I would guess you would need at least a brass 4-row or aluminum radiator. Steve Chin bought an aluminum one pretty reasonable from Rodney Red on the left coast. If you can see the circulation looking into the radiator tank with the cap off (engine cool!) the pump is "probably" OK. If you have doubts about the radiator, it is old. I bought a new Canadian 4-row for my Sub about 2 years ago - cost $220. IMHO, better to replace than repair.
    Good luck

6. RingMaster4x4

do you think that the ac condenser could be a problem? The radiator is pretty old and when I try to drain the radiator using the drain at the bottom of the radiator it will get clogged.

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you can't drain the radiator cause the drain gets clogged then what does the cross tubes look like? Sounds like you need either a new radiator or to have yours rodded out. And you should completely change the coolant every year too.

8. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Definitely a radiator problem. You're putting more heat into the radiator than it can reject. That happened to me in my Trans Am when about 1/3 of the tubes got calcified (car sat without running for too long). The thing ran just fine at idle and low speeds, but when I got it up to about 90, the coolant temperature rose to about 200-210 (car normally runs 165 on the nose, no matter how hot or cold the day is).

9. RingMaster4x4

Thanks for all the help! I guess I will get a new radiator. I will let ya'll know how it goes.

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

www.radiator.com has great pricing..........and I think we still get a CK5 discount. I paid $162 for a 4 row radiator delivered to my door next day.

11. RingMaster4x4

What do I have to do to get the discount?

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I think just ask for it when you call.

13. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I just went to Radiator.com and check on pricing. Why would the pricing be different for a '69 with a 350 auto vs. a '70 vs. a '72? each of them had different prices. Would they really be a different radiator?

14. RingMaster4x4

Well, I just ordered my radiator for www.radiator.com. It should be here tomarrow. I will let ya'll know how it goes. Thanks everyone!

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Would you mind posting some more info?
    What mod. #?
    What size?
    How many rows?
    How much?

16. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

errr... ummm... www.radiator.cam didn't treat me too well. Yep you heard this on the INTERNET so take it FWIW but I will not make the same mistake twice /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Buy from a local store where you can raze hell if you're not pleased...

17. RingMaster4x4

Well I got the radiator in yesterday about 10:00 A.M. I put it in last night and so far so good. I will keep ya'll posted. Thanks for all the help. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif