Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removable Body Armor for My k5! Am I nuts? (long)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Ok, so maybe its just me. But I've already got hunters rash on my nice paint job. Nothing I cant compound out (for now). But these northeast trails are made for Jeeps, and while I can fit the k5 through most of them, it constantly rubs against all the shrubs.

So I checked out my options:
    a. Not care
    b. spends lotsa moola on costly repaints
    c. get some sorta armor

So I chose option C. So I started searching on the web for options to prevent hunters rash. I read things from like "give it a good wax beforehand" to these vynl semi permanent options. Neither seemed like it would take the usual abuse. So I found some websites offering semi permanent magnetic mounted sheets. But nobody makes them for a k5, and they cost megabucks!!!!! (over $300-500!!)

So I decided to make my own. I found a company that makes magnetic sheeting, in all different thicknesses. They were even nice enough to send me samples of their sheets. At first, I thought .03" was going to be too thin, so they sent me .05" and .03" and let me tell you, .03" is perfect! Thick enough to acutally dissapate impacts across its surface. I was amazed. I got a roll of 100sq feet!

Do you all think Im nuts, or are you all just waiting to see pictures? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I want to see pics of the magnetic tape after a trial run!!! It might work for the small brush though!

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

sounds like a good idea. How much did it cost for hte roll and is that enough or more than enough and where are you applying it at? Pics would be cool. Good idea /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I got the roll cheap. My truck is blue, the roll came from some excess production run, it was 100 bucks for 100 square feet. That should be more than enough to cover my whole truck. My idea was to spray paint the magnetic sheeting in the same color as my truck (will have to spend some money to get the color match, or I could just keep it white). I've tested my "theory" of how well it works.. I acutalled used aluminum siding duct taped to my truck and did a narrow trail run. The truck came out unscathed, except for the stinkin duct tape glue being left. The magnetic sheeting should do wonders. I just need to clean off the whole truck nice and good so that the magnetic sheeting doesnt scratch the back.

6. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

I make magnetic signs, and if you don't do something to all the leading edges of the magnets, like tape or something, the branches will just peel them right off. I have tried the wax it before you go trick, and it works great, just fyi. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well....I don't think your nuts.....it sounds like a good idea to me, but I wanna see pics after wheeling..... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Not a bad idea. I know what ya mean about narrow trails. Mine's not that pretty, so even after I spray some paint on it I won't be that particular. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif If I have some leftover Durabak I'll be working my way from the rockers up.

If your idea doesn't work, how about some heavy canvas/vinyl snapped down the side? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I think thats a great idea. After every run i go i have new "pin-stripping" that i dont much care for. Im sure most of the hard core guys here think of us pretty boys as pansy's but... hey... anyone can have a POS ! My rig is my pride and joy as well as daily driver, date mobile, grocery getter, and pick mom up from the airport rig. Its gotta do it all, and i expect alot from it. Including looking good.
    I bought some "TUFF-TAPE" (removeable thin plastic stuff) for my next time thru the weeds. I have not used it yet, but hope it holds up. I think you have a great idea, and for the money, you cant go wrong. I paid 13 bucks for a 1x2 roll of the same stuff. Good Luck.

tori89k5

10. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Hey somebody has to keep the trails clear for the j**pers. It should work for the brush and the like, but you'll prol have to put it on a freshly washed truck or you may scratch the finish just getting it on and off.

Or just pick option "a" its a lot less trouble and there is freedom in beaters. Don't have to wash em, no parking worries (even fun to park em next to $50,000 sports cars), people are less likely to cut in front of you, etc, etc. Man just wait till you get that first rock or tree rash, but don't worry it gets easier after that! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif