Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removable doors? good or bad Idea?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mpascino, May 17, 2001.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Had the top off my k-5 last weekend and asked myself y not take the doors off too? I could made a removable pin for each of the hinges..... I realize it could be a pain to line them back up after they're off but that's life. I'd have to mount another mirror somewhere to make it legal...... Is there any other reason why i shouldn't/ can't do this? Any reason why it wouldn't be legal? Floors are inteact now so I don't see my seat flying out ;) Any feedback is appricated.
    Thanx

You call that dirty!?

2. im_2gr82h8

im_2gr82h8 Registered Member

they would jsut be really heavy and a pain. you would need at least 2 peopl,. but i guess that you need 2 people when taking the top off to so go for it i guess. When i get an extra set of doors i want to make half doors, so if you do make a quick release pin please post pics.

Lowriders are for guys that can't get it up!

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I believe it's not legal for the street to not have doors? I could be wrong there but I thought you have to have something across the bottom to prevent things from rolling out and possibly causing an accident. Like Heeps have that lip to prevent things from simply falling out. There was a post a few months back about half doors and making then street legal. Maybe someone else can bring it up because I can't seem to find it.....

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I believe you have to have a 6" lip from the bottom of the floor.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

5. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I guess that's nothing a little bolt on piece of sheet metal won't take care of. [​IMG]
    thanx guys

You call that dirty!?

6. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I asked multiple people (state inspections shops) here in Texas and they all said that I didn't need doors on my '70, just seat belts. They probably overlooked the lip thing. I also don't need side mirrors, I just need one mirror capable of seeing 300 feet behind me and my inside rear view takes care of that. Just thought I'd throw in what I've heard.

Diesel
    [​IMG]
    Who says that size doesn't matter?

7. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I think you have to have one side mirror too. That's what they told me when I was taking the test to be an inspector. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Its easy to convert the hinges so you can just pull the pins. If you have non-power doors and don't care about the paint, you can take them off and put them back on by yourself. I beleive in CO you don't need a side mirror if you have a clear, unobstructed view out the rear view. As for the lip, my brother leaves his doors off the '70 all summer, no problems yet. I'm soon to have a 7 1/2" lip, as soon as the fab. shop finishes my new 1/4" plate rocker panels. Gotta go out and buy some 2x3 tube steel this morning to replace my tailpan.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

9. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

OK, I have been running without my doors for a couple of years now. It's been inspected that way at least three times and it has never been an issue. Up until 3 months ago I was driving it every day and again never been an issue. I strogly urge you to pull the doors, its a great feeling[​IMG]. As far as lining themback up goeas it really isnt all that bad, hears what I suggest. Take some opposite of your truck and sray it in the doorjam on the hinges and the bolts, then whe you take the door off you have a great outlin of the hinge plate on your door!!!!
    The quick relaese thing never worked to well for me. I ground off thebottom of the pins on the top hinges, and the topof the pins on the bottom hinges. It just always seemed like to much trouble. I did however pull the hinges after the door was off so I didnt have those big ol things hanging off!!!! It looks much nicer.
    A few tips on cruising with your doors off:
    1) <font color=red>ALWAYS WHERE YOUR SEATBELT!!!!!!!!</font color=red>, please don't give any one any excuses to ban us from having no doors and also we wouldnt want loose a fellow k5er
    2) Dont put your sunglasses or anything else of value that slides on the dash!!!! The first rolling left hand turn you encounter , they WILL go out the door.
    3) really thats all, i just wanted to add some more numbers so that my list looks longer and I feel as smart as some of the other good longwinded posters around here (GRIM)!!!!!!![​IMG][​IMG]
    Have fun, and HAVE A NICE DAY!!!{[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://autotronixcaraudio.com

10. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I take my doors off every summer and it is great. I can do it with just me, although two people makes it very easy. I made some quick disconnects for my power windows/stereo/door lock wires, so that is easy. Just take some paint that contrasts to your truck color and outline the brackets, that makes putting them back on very simple and gets them back to where they were without too much hassle. I haven't gotten in trouble with the law yet, but I do plan on sticking a mirror on the driver's side just to mke me more legal. It is a great feeling with the doors and top off! And when you are out on the trail it is really advantageous to be able to see everything so easily and makes getting in and out a cinch!

11. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

What about a '73-'75 Blazer without doors? I would worry about the body flexing too much and never being able to get the doors back on it the winter. Anybody have any experience with that??? Because I'd love to run topless and doorless this summer if possible. I don't care about the paint, or some dents, I just want to be able to get the doors back on after a few months off. I have a 4 point cage in the rear of the Blazer that kinda stiffens things up.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

12. crazylarry74

crazylarry74 Registered Member

My friend got pulled over the other night in his ford donkey with his doors off and all the cop asked him if it was cold at night to drive with them off. Just thought i'd throw that in.
    Crazylarry

13. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I've been running my '73 without doors in the summer for about 3 years now with no problems putting them back on. Now that I'm in sunny California for good, I leave them off year round. The doors are light enough for one person to remove without much trouble, thought it would be easier with a removable hinge pin.
    I got stopped at a DUI checkpoint in Virginia with my doors off and the cop tried to tell me that it was illegal to drive like that. I argued with him and asked for a specific law, but he wouldn't / couldn't name one. I'm pretty sure with the attitude that I was giving him, that if it were really against the law, that I would have gotten a ticket. All he said is "you can't do that here in the Commonwealth of Virginia boy". Here in California I've talked to police officers while sitting in my vehicle without any mention of the doors at all.

14. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

So i guess that they dont le them there boys in the commenwealth of virginia drive them thar new fangled jeeps

[​IMG]
    http://autotronixcaraudio.com

15. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

THE TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY INSPECTION BOOK SAYS YOU MUST HAVE ALL FACTORY INSTALLED FRONT SEAT BELTS AND 1 MIRROR. NOTHING ABOUT NEEDING A FLOOR LIP OR DOORS. OH YEAH THE SEATS ARE OPTIONIAL THEY ARE NOT REQUIRED FOR STATE INSPECTION BUT MUST HAVE SEAT BELTS ..GO FIGURE

16. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i guess seats are jsut common sense or somethin

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

17. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't recommend not having seats. Yes, it saves weight, but I pulled mine in the garage with no seats the other day and I think you're legs would cramp up after just a short drive. Would be very difficult with a stick, too.

A buddy of mine used to work at Midas. One of there customers was a lady in a wheel chair, they had to sit on a bucket to pull it in the shop. Didn't test drive that one much.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

18. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yea, its a weird feeling. I took my seats and interior stuff out a couple weeks ago to redo some stuff. I also was doing some engine stuff so it hadn't ran in about 2 weeks. I finally got done with the engine today so I climbed in to start it up and I felt like a little kid sitting on the floor to reach the gas and clutch I couldn't even see over the wheel.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

19. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

it is not legal i checked with the highway patrol. it is only legal on cars/trucks that came factory with removable doors such as jeeps. they have the more enclosed floor. i think that is reinforced for accidents. i dont know.

20. 77GMC15

77GMC15 1/2 ton status

Try to get an extra set of doors and make some half doors. I like how those look. You probably will still get alot of the same feeling and without things on the floor rolling out.

[​IMG]