Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removable doors?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerBoy, Jun 15, 2000.

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I have been tossing around the idea of making my doors removable. I looked into it last night and doesnt look all that hard. Just wondering if any one has done this. I would need to make a new mirror for the side, have any sugestions? Or just any comments in general. Thanks

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have seen homemade jobs kinda like the one in the mag, were you take some pipe and flat steel and mount the hinges to the steel then weld on the pipe in a sidewayz < and the tip of the V is at the same point were the door latch is located then atother small plate with the door latch and wallaa instant half door.

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

After riding some local trails in a friends jeep with the top and doors off, I was kicking the idea around too. It was pretty nice to be able to lean way out and see what the tires are planted on, especially for really tight climbs. The bushes and tree limbs hitting you in the face on narrow trails were real treat too.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

4. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

I took the doors off of my Suburban last summer and I got a ticket from the police. I live in Vancouver, Britsh Columbia, Canada and the police don't seen to like anything but jeeps without doors. I was really cheese off!!!! What are the laws like where you all are?

72Blazerod

5. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I beleive the only law we have requires that you have a drivers side mirror. Mc Master/Carr sells suction cups with a threaded fitting in the back so I thought I would make a temp mirror that sticks either to the body or the windshield or I thought maybe I could make a temp mirror that fits into the hinge bracket that will still be on the truck..

BlazerBoy

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Registered Member

I have tossed around the idea for years. If I knew how to weld I would have already had a set of safari doors like the jeeps run. Oh well, one day.

I have run without a drivers side door for a week before when I was stationed in Kansas City, Mo. A friend I got stuck, got out hooked up a strap to a friend. Told him to tighten up the slack, then I was gonna jump in the truck. Well he kept pulling and sent my door facing the front.

I was pulled over but no ticket. It is legal if you do it right. I am going to pull my doors this week, I already checked for legality with the local and state authorites(GA), but now the base MPs are telling me they won't allow it. BS I say, if a Jeep can do it, I can do it better!!!!!!

No doors, no top.....Let it all hang out!!!!!

Jimbo

7. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Who would I have to call to find out the legality of removing doors. Would I have to go to the city hall for the city I live in or would that be governed by the state of Illinois?

BlazerBoy

8. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Let me get this straight - you're talking about those little flimsy doors like Jeep CJ's? You're getting tickets for driving without them on? You wearing your seat belt, or do you guys not have seat belt laws? I agree - it would be real nice to just lean out and actually see what I'm driving over or see what I don't have to drive over. If anyone does this, post some pix!

behemoth K5

9. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I dont plan to make safari doors or half doors. I am going to modify the hinges so I can quickly and easily lift them off and on... I am going to try to find out about the local laws if everthing is o.k. I will try to start them tonight.

BlazerBoy

10. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

O.k. well guys I took matters into my own hands last night. I still dont know what the local laws are concerning driving with no doors. But I decided to do it anyways, for when I am wheeling and camping that kinda stuff. I did the drivers door last night it wasnt that hard. And turned out really well, the door doesnt sag or droop. The only differance is that I dont have the little sping thing that will holds the door open. I am going to do the passenger side tonight. I will post pics as soon as possible.

BlazerBoy

11. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I just called the secretary of state the lady I spoke with says that even JEEPS are illegal to drive on any Illinois governed road or highway with out there doors. That sounds like a load of bull. Unless they dont enforce the law. I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket in a jeep for no doors. I am going to look into this more but at least when I wheel I will be doorless.. lol

BlazerBoy

12. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I haven't seen any laws that say anything about doors on your vehicle. You do have to have a driver side exterior mirror. This is in Kansas. Check with your local city government, every state and town in each state can be different on stuff like this.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

13. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I run my '73 with no doors and no top.I modified the hinges so I can pull the doors in about 2 minutes.I unbolted the door from the hinges (leave the hinges on the truck) then knock the pins out with a bfh.I then ground 2 of the pins down so they slide in and out of the bushings with your fingers.I use these pins for the bottom and use 4 1/2" long 5/16" bolts with nylock nuts for the top.You need to use these because there is no room for the pin to come in from the top with the doors on.The doors are kind of heavy so I rest them on my leg when putting on or taking them off.If your rig is taller you may want a friend to help.I love riding around with the doors off it really helps when rockcrawling.You can lean way out and see where your tire is hitting.As far as mud I just don't lean out when I getting on it.That way I don't get it in the face!!!It also lightens the rig up by I'm guessing close too 100#s or more.With the top off with the doors off you lose probally 500#s or more.Makes a big difference when you get the petal down!!!Brady

14. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah! I mounted a stock chevy truck mirror on the front fender to be legal.Brady

15. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Brady
    Were you in Moab over Memorial day weekend? I saw a Blazer driving around with no doors, if I remember right it was blue and white.

Steve

16. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

No.I thrashed friday night to get ready and leave early sat. morn with the intent of trying to meet up with you.But ended up not going.My rig is camo.It was last minute to go and last minute not to.I am not going to be able to go to the why to k5 run either.Just bought brand new house and I haven't even moved in yet.I hope to this week.Brady