Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removable steering wheel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by drchan, May 26, 2003.

1. drchan

drchan Registered Member

anyone using one of those grant steering wheels with the kit installed to let you remove the wheel. any opinions on these. i'm great at making purchasing mistakes, wanted some informed opinions before i shell out that type of $$$$$$. do they effect steering at all. anyone have one come off while driving(hey, it might could happen) i don't know that's why i'm asking the experts here at ck5

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

jekbrown has one..... i kinda want one, im sick of getting paranoid about somone driving off with my rig, i got the doors and top off right now, I disconnect the battery, and put the tcase in neutral and block the tires... hoping that the thief is an idiot... and if i heard them open the hood i think i would have enough time to Jack a shell in the chamber and snipe them with my .243 (i know its small but its really fast)

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I have had one on my rig for years and have had no issues at with it. Makes me feel better about leaving parked, granted I do not drive it on the street much anymore.

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

There was a model that disconnected the steering wheel from the steering shaft with some type of key lock. The wheel stayed on the shaft but would just freewheel. It would save having to walk around with a steering wheel under your arm. Anybody ever heard of it? Is it still around /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I have a Nascar style quick disconnect on my blazer/truggy. THe Rebco wheel comes off and I don't have the problems with column shift (artcarr shifter on my cage/dash) or gm ignition. I won't go back. Super trick...super functional...and now a pto ujoint connects the steering shaft to the ragjoint. Can you say heavy duty. Most rockcrawlers run this type of setup. Very simple and very functional.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As long as you don't leave the end of the steering shaft sticking out in the open when you pull the wheel, it would be fine.

Already heard comments about how you can drive with vise-grips and no steering wheel /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

like 84 said, I have the grant kit, I like it alot. I leave my rig parked in a theif-happy zone for weeks at a time... so the extra security makes me feel a lot better. Theres no way to do the vise-grips-trick with the grant kit... once u take the wheel off, u put a smooth cover thing on that locks on and prevents thief from using a substitute grant wheel or a tool of some kind to turn the shaft. I dunno, your REALLY hardcore car thieves may have a way around the system, but 99% of the losers doin that kinda thing prolly arent that good. Easier to steal the neighbors $50k late model suv.

I'm gonna rig up my t-case lever to be removeable to... that way I can throw it in neutral and take the handle with me. Security is all about layers of preventitive measures...

j

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm gonna rig up my t-case lever to be removeable to... that way I can throw it in neutral and take the handle with me. Security is all about layers of preventitive measures...

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's a damn good idea, I might have to steal it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, the little things just slow them down. If they want it bad enough, they'll just flat bed it. But the little things will hopefully make them pass your truck by in the first place. And besides, a missing steering wheel is pretty obvious, as long as something else valuable isn't lying out in the open, or possibly concealed in a console or something, they probably won't even break into it.

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

other tricks I have learned:

Hidden fuel cut off switch

toggle switch for the electric fuel pump

Disconnect the wire to the HEI

Removable stering wheel

chain the brake to the column

Quick Disconnect on the negitive groud to the battery

Remove Starter or Pitman Arm(if the truck will be sitting for awhile)

11. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

DuneRunner is also using the steering wheel disconnect. I have one on my to do list.