Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removable top side glass replacement???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blackno3goodwrench, Jun 15, 2004.

1. blackno3goodwrench

blackno3goodwrench Registered Member

I want to get rid of my sliding glass windows and get one single piece of glass... where can I get these?? Does someone specialize in making them or does everone just get them at a glass place?? any help is appreciated...

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i have some from my 73 top if it fits ill give it to ya for 100 dollars if thays a fair price /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. blackno3goodwrench

not really sure if the 73 glass will fit so that might not be a solution but I appreciate the help...

4. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

Yup, most people just swap them out with the older solid glass. I was going to start track a few pieces down but have decided to go with a Can-Back soft top instead. You can even call a automotive glass company and they will sell you two new pieces and install them, just make sure to tell them you want the solid and not the slider versions. I think most people are saying about $120-150 a side to have new glass installed.

5. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Maybe you know this already, but get a lacing tool for the press in trim around the window seal. I did one side without it and it sucked so bad. Then as I was starting the second side a friend of mine showed up with the lacing tool. Took two minutes with the tool a hour without it.

-Chris

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

It will fit, '73-'91 side glass, all the same, except for tint/no tint, but that's preference. I don't think tint was offered until late '70's early '80's
    Seems there more demand for sliders than solid piece
    You should be able to sell those sliders for more than the cost of the solid piece. I did this years back on my '78, I sold the pair of sliders for $180 and bought the solid pieces for $35 from a junkyard. I put those sliders in the local trader pub and the first person to call bought them for listed price (I was willing to come down $50), I had at least 20-30 calls on them for the 1 week the ad ran....

7. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Seems there more demand for sliders than solid piece
    You should be able to sell those sliders for more than the cost of the solid piece

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not kidding... there is a big demand for Sliders..
    I just sold a set of solid side glass from my 89 k5.. it has the tint impregnated into the glass.. Sold the set for $40.00... so deals are out there.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not exactly what you asked but you will love the solid windows, they look sooooo much better and are quiet and leak free. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. blackno3goodwrench

Thanks for all the knowledge. I am really not in favor of the sliders. I don't sit back there so I am content with solid windows. I have seen them on other K5's and they look really sharp. I bought my K5 for 1500 dollars, rebuilt the 350, had the tranny rebuilt, and just had it painted so I am on the easy end of making a classic truck look nice. I plan on replacing the sliders with solid glass with a dark tint. I will sell the sliders to anyone who wants them once I replace them. I am deployed overseas right now but once I return it will be time for rims and tires and the vehicle will be complete and ready to give to my 17 year old daughter to destroy...hahahah

10. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Have a set of solid windows from a 73 and I want sliders. Wanna swap?

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Fred