Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removable top woes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by det45, Jun 19, 2000.

1. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

I just dropped by the body shop to check on the progress of my new paint job only to find out that they ripped apart my interior side panels to get the top off! Man is it a mess! Are these tops that hard to take off? I told them that my 89 K5 interior better look the same inside as the day I dropped it off to them......GeeeeeezzzZZZZZ

2. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

There are 2 bolts hidden in the back that the interior would have to be loosened to get to but not removed. If the top has never been off the bolts may be really stuck then when you try to loosen them, the nuts spin on the underside of the bedrail and the only way to get them off would be to take the panels off and grab the nuts with vice grips[​IMG]. Hope this helps.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I think they mention it on the offroaddesign.com website. They say it weighs something like 350 pounds...I didn't think it felt nearly that heavy though. Maybe its just all the steroids I take. lol

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Hey '73K5, If you're asking about the weight of the top for your '73, I can't tell you how much it weighs but my buddy and I could lift it off by ourselves. One grabs the top where the back window rolls up to, the other would crouch towards the front, lift with our back, and walk toward the tailgate. Once you get to the end of the tailgate carefully set the top on the siderails of the truck, reposition yourself, then grab the front of the top with your hands and carry it off. With 2 wrenches we could have it off in 5 minutes for a nite on the town.

You can't beat going Topless!

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm fat and weak. I back my truck up to a retaining wall in my yard and walk of the back of the truck with the top for my 75 on my back. It's heavy but I doubt that I can handle 350lb so my guess is more like 250-275 for a full top.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Well since everybody is guessing, let me say a 73-75 full top is 236lbs.
    and a half top is 163lbs.

9. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

When I used to take the top off my 73 it would take me & my brother about 5-10 min, and about the same to get it back on. The thing I never understood was if it went on so dang quick, then why after 3 months and 3 inches of rain later it was still off and covered with a tarp? Well they say a lazy man will always find an easier way, hence the nice and lightweight soft top it has now.-Russell