Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removable top!

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by JAXSTER, Sep 21, 2002.

1. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

Has any one seen a Burb with a Rmovable top over the third seat?
    I have a Trail Burb and a Parts K5
    I also have a Plasmacutter and a MIG
    I think it could be a concept.
    Any one ahead of me?

The Suburban

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

you'll lose strength in the body

3. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

OK its a thought.
    But this is a trail truck!
    If it fails the doors might not (aline or is it alighn)?

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

now i did see a pic somewhere where someone turned the 3rd seat area into a pickup box and enclosed the rest forward...but you need that structural side to side strength or the roof will collapse.

5. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

So I throw a roll cage in the cab.
    Then I get to use the miter bender.
    More work! But Cool concept.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

if it were me doing it, do the roll cage in the cab, then also where you cut the back off....double wall re-inforce the cut line and weld straight to the shell.

7. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

I think if I cut the metal about 6 inches fron the top mount plates. with the top on, then mate it to the Sub in same manner , GM should have some reinforcment since they have donit for years in the Blazer.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

but if you look at the blazer, they have a built in stiffener, where as in a burb there isn't cause of the full top

9. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

True but I will still have the Structure over 4doors that makes A, B, and C pillars. I'll Bet It would be stronger.

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm not trying to put your idea down at all, go for it!!! I wanna see pics of it, i hope it works.

11. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

I'm just looking for more ideas befor I break out the Plasma.
    You added some great input. Thanks

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

no problem...if you do decide to do it, get some pics

13. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

Not an IF, just when!
    I would not miss a photo opp. for somthing this crazy.

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Before Ford came out with the Expedition, a company called Centurion built a Ford version of a Suburban, starting with a Bronco. They would make the frame longer and then add another set of doors. But the rearmost section was covered by the fiberglass top from the Bronco. It looked pretty good.

I think you could do it like this. First do some measuring to see if there's enough room behind the rear doors of the Sub for everything to fit. Then cut the entire back section off the cab of the K5, all the way down to the floor. This would get you the flange that the top bolts to. By taking it all the way down to the floor, then you'll still have all the extra beef that GM designed into that area on the K5. You'll probably have to take part of the door opening area from the K5 and graft it into the door opening area of the Sub.

Next start taking the roof off of the Sub. But don't get too wild, as you will also want to remove the tops of the bed rails from the K5 and graft them onto the Sub so that the top can be mounted easily. Weld the roof section from the K5 into the Sub, taking care to tie it into the Sub as much as possible. This will keep the roof of the Sub from flexing too much. Then line up the top rails and weld them into the Sub.

The rear window glass of a Sub with a tailgate is not the same as the rear window glass of a K5, so you'll need to compare and see if the K5 glass will fit correctly now that the top of the Sub is from a K5.

Sounds like a cool project! I couldn't do it to my Sub because the rear a/c is up in the roof back there. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yeap! simple as that! hahaha

16. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

I have seen the Bronco Conversion you spoke of . This is the foundation of my Idea. I have measured, Its all there, The taigates will swap from k5 to Sub for Glass. I have already compared. I'm just in the engineering processes. I'm am working on a jig to match the cuts on both. I have a wrecked tub I'm going to discect first to see internal structure. I'm just sharing thoughts to make sure I don't miss any thing. Thanks for the input. I will document all this when I beguin so if sucessful It will make it easier for others to follow.

SUB-CULTURE EVOLUTION!

17. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

at worst, you could do a clean job of it, then get something like a Canback, or custom canvas top on it. I agree that a removable top suburban would kick ass. I've looked at the ol' K20 several times, and wondered how best to go about doing something like that. I also started concept stages for making my sub into an avalanche too. don't laugh, mine would be everything the 2000+ avalanches aren't, like made completely of Metal, have a power mid gate ( move the tailgate forward to become the midgate, or cobble the inner guts of the tailgate into the midgate design) and most of all, be a rounded line era truck, with solid axles.

get lotsa photo's of this when you do it... if I ever win the lottery, I;m going to want to know how you did it, so I can do it too.

-Rich

18. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

I've actually seen one done before. It looks absolutely amazing. I've been dreaming about it for years. The guy said he would never try to do it again but he was genuinely happy with the results. As for the strength of the cab your probably going to have to steal the rear cab back off the k5. The really hard part is that a subs roof has the pressed up sheet metal. The one I saw the guy used a crew cab off of a 1 ton dully to mate to the k5 back. This solved the roof problem and allowed for proper structural strength. Plus he was able to do most of the work off the sub so he wasn't out a truck for awhile. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

19. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

just weld up a full internal cage. that's what i'd do.

20. There was a nice Burb at the Indy Jamboree that had the back chopped off and they had made a nice soft top for it. I have a couple pics at the house, but they aren't too great due to the heavy rain and glummness of the day !! It looked pretty good, but they sloped the back down and I think it would look nicer with it straight across so it looked like the original top.