Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removable top ?....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lazerus, Jan 15, 2003.

1. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

my top is in awful looking condition! I want to repaint and fix it up. I did a search and found lots of info, and also got some more ?s...
    -how do you prepare the fiberglass for painting?
    -i read in a search about the 'fiberglass showing through', how do know if the fiberglass is showing through?
    -do you need special paint?
    -what about a sealer?

thanks for the help, I am sure these have been answered before-I just couldnt find them in the search

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've never worked with fiberglass befor, but my top is also in rough shape. I'm planning on sanding mine down prior to painting. To be honest with you. I'm serously thinking going soft top and forgetting about the hard top.

3. CJeepFreak84

CJeepFreak84 Registered Member

My top too is showing it's age. in my opinion a soft top really is the way to go when you figure the top you have now weighs close to 300lbs. Thats ALOT of dead weight. And plus who wouldn't want to roll up the sides real quick and head out to the mountains?
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif --> /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

I'M PLANNING TO BUY SOFT TOP AFTER I INSTALL A CAGE TO PROTECT MY DOME...

74 JIMMY 35'S 355/350/203/44/12
    ALL HAIL THE ALMIGHTY SAWZALL /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

hmmmmmmm, soft top?
    I dont like the prices of soft tops, but I could be conveinced!
    -what do yall think about the security factor of the rig? kinda like a conv that you could easily slit with a knife?
    -how do these hold up in strong winds? rain?
    -do they fade?
    -do they flap and make alot of noise?

6. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Also, how do the soft tops hold up to branches being drug across them? Here in Florida, most of the trails are very tight and lots of branches scrape the sides of the truck while wheeling.

7. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I have a full top, 1975 blazer. Last summer I removed the top, cleaned it, sanded it with a DA sander, then 600 grit sandpaper, dried it, then painted it in my garage with an HVLP gun. The blazer tops originally had kind of a spackle finish on them and mine was all gone, fortunatley since I would have had to do a lot more sanding. I believe the paint store guy sold me some sealer to apply right before the paint (a good automotive paint store will help you on this).

I suspect the reason it was painted with the "textured" look is because it is not very smooth in the first place and this hides the ripples. I can see some in my top when looking from above (don't get there very often).

If you want to do a bang-up job on your top, do the same thing I did, except paint it with the spackle texture. You can do this with an HVLP gun, but I'm not sure if it is a different spray head or just a different setting. I am going to find out cause I plan to paint it with this finish some day.

The fiberglass sands really nice and if you have a DA sander and an air compressor, it's a piece of cake. Borrow this set-up if you have to. Painting it is pretty easy too if you have the right equipment. Use an HVLP gun and you won't have much overspray - you can do it in your driveway on a not-so-windy day. I just bought a new gun and plan to do some experimenting (The first gun was a cheap HVLP gun that didn't work that well). If I figure out the spackle technique, I'll let you know.

Good luck.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

From my understanding, the Can-Back tops stand up pretty good, and don't flap around much. You can always fold it up for trails. Kinda nice going upen top anyways.

9. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

can back's are expensive tho, like $850+ expensive just for a soft top, but i can't complain cause its the next thing on my list anyways

10. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i sanded my full toper and painted it with rustoleum paint, the kind you get in the one gallon jug. i applied it with a small paint roller. it gave me a little texture and it turned out great. that was three years ago and so far no chipping cracking or flaking.

11. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

my hard top's about ready to get an overhaul too. this is what ive heard is the best way to go:
    1.) sand the top down - no paint, probably want it smooth
    2.) seal it with some fiberglass sealing resin stuff (dont remember the name, someone will chime in. should be available at a marine supply store though)
    3.) let it cure and paint over it

It may require a few coats, but the resin should keep the fiberglass from flaking /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well soft top wise...i love the can back...i have had it since july...it dosent flap at all...dosent sound any different than with the hard top on..no problems with branches rubbin on it...as for the rain i dont know...i lost my licence in september and havent drove in the rain with it...+ i have no doors right now..

13. CJeepFreak84

CJeepFreak84 Registered Member

I'd have to say that getting rid of all that dead weight is worth the money and it's now a one man job when you want to go topless. Certainly there is some regular cleaning that might need to go on to keep the windows looking fresh but other than that... there's nothing to it. can-back would certainly be #1 in my book but there are other manufactures out there that do a good job as well and are much cheaper... it just depends on what you want out of a top... Hard tops are great don't get me wrong... they have a beautiful look to them but i think a soft top is just so flexible in it's applicaions.. and after all on a trail rig it's important that things perform more than one function.. because honestly if u went out on a nice clear day and it starts to rain i don't think you've got that hard top stored on your truck!
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

14. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I know I plan to replace my hardtop with a Specialty Top Co (STC) Fasttrac soft top this spring. With my truck going as high as it will be, I want to shed the weight. I believe Steve runs a Can-Back, but Stephen (ORD) runs a STC top. They both sell them for just over $500. I am sure they hold up just as well as any convertible top would.

I understand the concern of stuff poking through it off-road, but how many times are you going to be offroad with the top in place? I'm sure there will be a few times, but most of the time I am on tight trails like that, it isn't during inclement weather.

Just my .02, but I would start saving for a soft top.