Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removable winch mount?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bart, Oct 14, 2000.

1. bart

bart Registered Member

I am in the planning stages of building a front bumper...and am kicking around the idea of incoporating a hitch receiver mount for a winch...so that I could use the winch to pull myself out of something that I have no desire to continute further into.
    Does/has anyone found it useful to use the winch on the rear of the rig? Is this worth the trouble to do this, or should I just permanently mount it in the front bumper? The wiring is not an issue in this case, just putting the hitch receiver in. Advice?

Bart

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I did this and was very happy with it, it was more useful to pull other folks from the rear than myself!

If you wheel with others (you should never go alone) then the rear mount is really no big deal. Mine is now permantly mounted on the front bumper.

Wanna buy a cradle?

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

3. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Hey, the only thing i heard about receiver hitches are that single hitches are not good for side pulls. So i built my own custom bumpers with dual receiver hitches. This is not an easy task in any way. Then i built a rack that plugs into them that the winch sits on. I'll have to get pics sometime on here. Keep bugging me and i'll do it. Later Doug

Doug Krebs

4. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

How much does it wiegh, Doug. The rack with the winch that has to be carried from front to back?

5. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

That is one kinda bad thing about it. Winches weigh enough as it is. I used thick walled box for it and it probably weighs around 20-30 pounds. I'm a pretty big guy and it's not to fun to move around myself, but with a buddy it's no problem. I knew it would be heavy but i think it is well worth it. Let me know if you have anymore questions

Doug Krebs