Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removal and install of axle yoke, need advise!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nrose07, May 4, 2002.

1. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

I'm swaping in my 12bolt this weekend, already got the seal for the yoke swap but what I need to know is which methods are ok? Got the nut & yoke off the 10 bolt with a 3/8 ratchet (GULP), but I need to revove the 12bolts now. I remember something about using or not using a impact and damage to ring and pinion. I also need to replace the crush collar, right? Thanks guys, need the help!

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Why are you going to remove the ring gear bolts? If you are going to change the crush sleeve you don't need to remove the ring gear bolts, only the whole carrier assembly with the ring gear still attached.

3. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Ring gear bolts? I'm changing the 12 bolt's yoke to the 10 bolt's larger yoke. Just need to know the proper method as to not damage my ring and pinion.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You said " but I need to revove the 12bolts now ". I just reread it again and realize you mean you still need to remove the yoke from your 12 bolt diff.

5. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

you can remove the yoke nut with an impact, but put it back on manually, you shouldn't have to change the crush sleeve, if you don't overtighten it, the setting will stay the same.
    remove the old yoke, replace the seal, install the new yoke, hold the yoke with a pipe wrench and tighten the nut to the recommended torque. you're done. the yoke should turn with a slight drag but not have ANY play in the bearings.