Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removal of fixed rear window..

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Bob87Burb, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

I need to replace the driver's quarter fixed window. Is it as simple as it looks? Pull out the rubber in the center of the gasket, and the gasket should collapse?

Seems too easy... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Thats pretty much it.

Just pull the cord in the cneter of the window seal, you might have to pursuede it from getting off the metal lip it mounts on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

Great! Finally something sort of easy.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks!

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

If you succeed, lemme know. I cracked the hell out of that smae glass on my passenger side and might get around to replacing it some day. If you have any tips or tricks to offer, I'd appreciate it. Thx

5. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

I'll try to get some pics too. I need to pull one from a junkyard truck, then install it in mine. I'd like to claim that it's "real truck" carnage, but it's just from my wife putting the kids' bikes in the back. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Rofl. Mine happened when I was muddin at my ranch. An offending tree branch hit me in the grill (my blingin chrome grill gaurd took the brunt of th hit), dented the very top corner oy my fender, dented my mirror base (the part thats mounted to the door) and then cracked the back glass. I was going fast enough that it bounced between impact points, at least no scratched paint... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

Looks like this will be put off a few days. I went to the junkyard that said they had about 10 Burbs, only to find out they were S10 Blazers. I didn't think they were that close to confuse them. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I located another one, but I won't be able to get down there until next week.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

To bad weren't closer, i have 2 sets sitting in the barn taking up space.

9. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    To bad weren't closer, i have 2 sets sitting in the barn taking up space.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding! Shipping would most likely kill the deal, but if you want to shoot me a price shipped to 02904, I'd really appreciate it. I've located one in RI, but unfortunately I don't have time to get down there. They won't let me pull it, and I need to pay first and then come back and get it the next day.

Honestly, junkyards around here suck! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you succeed, lemme know. I cracked the hell out of that smae glass on my passenger side and might get around to replacing it some day. If you have any tips or tricks to offer, I'd appreciate it. Thx

[/ QUOTE ]

If you need tips on installation:
    Get a 1/4" nylon rope, rub some soap on it, put it in the rubber groove and rap it around twice, leave the ends hanging out a foot.
    Put the glass against the position it should be in with the ends of the rope on the inside, have someone press on it from the outside and start pulling the rope on the inside while the person outside is applying pressure where the rope is pulling the lip of the rubber seal in and over the edge, keep going slowly untill the whole seal is in place.
    Now you stick a flat screw driver in the outside grove and insert the edge of the trim piece and start pushing it in while you drage the flat blade to keep the grove open.
    I made a tool to do that better where it's a loop and the trim piece goes throught the hole at and angle and it pushes the trim in the grove as it opens it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif