Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removal of undercoating

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Sep 13, 2000.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Ok guys, I have battled with this stuff for 6 months now. It has made working on my car 3 times as hard as normal. The previous owner lived in ohio for 2 years and got this stuff sprayed everywhere. Under body, in the hood, in the doors, all over!!!! It is similar to grease, but doesn't collect dirt. If it gets on you, good luck getting it off, same for driveways, tools and the damn car. The only thing that has gotten some of it off is heat. When I was burning the bushings out of he leaf springs in the rear, the stuff was just falling off. I tried our pressure washer, but it just kind of moves it aside and makes lines in it. So i am thinking steam cleaning would work. Has anyone tried this?? I am located near houston. Any one knows places that do this??? Anyone have any more suggestions to try? Thanks - Doug

Doug Krebs

2. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Hey doug, I have a fair bit of this crap on my 85. It's like tar. And I have found nothing that will remove it. I do know that steam cleaning is futile. The answer is likely in a solvent of some type. I'll look in eastwoods catalog and see what they offer, I couldn't even scrape it off my rear diff cover with a chisel, I just made a bigger mess. I'm buying new fender skirts because of this. I've tried degreaser, easy-off, bug and tar remover, steam, wire wheels (they foul up) sandblasting (sand sticks in it) sanding, all to no avail. I'll keep trying. If you find something that works, let me in on it.

"who dares wins"

3. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I too had this type of product on my blazer thge only thing that seemed to work for me was a wire wheel on my angle grinder. Just slow and tedious!!!

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

4. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Maybe try a steam cleaner(hot water, high pressure) with some degreaser added?

5. mrivan

mrivan 1/2 ton status

you might try laquer thinner ,it is very flamable would use it out side and wear a resperator
    the type used for painting cars .you can buy it in five gallon cans at auto body supplier for about
    5 bucks a gallon , use plenty of rags ,rubber gloves ,its nasty stuff but with cut most anything.
    Mrivan..............

6. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Just a thought, maybe remove some of it and see how it reacts with paint stripper. Some of that stuff that you apply with a brush and it's real thick. I think that'll work.

"who dares wins"

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

In the new eastwood catalog there is a product to remove undercoating. They are on line at eastwood.com.