Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

remove 1 of dual front shocks???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Aug 10, 2001.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i have dual front shock set up and cant see why??
    what would happen if i just removed the outer of the 2 shocks from each side and ran just 1??
    i have read about getting the brackest from an F-250 and all, and was just wonder why not go with just what's there??
    i have no lift and 33" tires and minimal offroad

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Everyone ive talked to said its a softer ride with one. I plan on removing my duals when I install my lift.

Theres nothing like fiddling with my Jimmy! 1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31 x10.50 x 15

3. 90BlazerK5

90BlazerK5 Registered Member

I've gotta agree with Tybee. I've got the stock duals up front right now, and its like riding a brick down the road! I'm going with a single shock setup when I install the lift (actually, seriously considing the F-250 shock tower setup). Thats just my .02 cents though!

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ok folks, i have seen many shock set-ups. i am going with the dual setup. this allows me to ride on a very soft spring with a not so springgy ride. but i honestly do not know what is with the f-250 shock setup. please fill me in. i have seen the bronco shock mount to extend the shocks. and have considdered this.
    thanks Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I mentioned it before.... but if you all like the look of the duals but don't want both shocks there to soften up the ride... take a drill and drill a small hole in 2 of the shocks near the bottom and drain them out. Just watch out since they are under pressure and will shower you.... that way you get the look but not the ride...

C'mon captain break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

AFAIK the whole point of using the F250 shock towers is so that you can mount LOOOONG travel shocks....for madly-flexy suspension set ups. You know, just in case you want your Blazer/Jimmy to ramp at a 1000. ;)

I am getting all the parts together to do that upgrade (at the same time I shackle-flip + revolver the rear). Oughta be fun,

J

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ok, i know about revolvers and the flip. and i am guessing the f250 thing is about the same as the bronco deal for the front. i like that idea. what year would one have to use for the brackets off an f250 and what else is needed?
    thanks, Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm with steph, drill a hole in one.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

9. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Here's Steve's write up on it.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/ranchoreview.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/ranchoreview.shtml</a>

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF CHATA?

10. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

sounds the easiest, but i just a couple months ago bought 6 new SSV'S and hate to drill hole in $90 worth of shocks
    not sure what i would do with them when i remove them, you know it's just a mental thing
    also, if you jacked up the frame and let the shock extend would that not remove the pressure

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?

11. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

There's still pressure in the shock even if it's fully extended. Once you drill a hole in it and most of the fluid comes out, you still get some fluid coming out after you drive it. So don't park it were you don't want shock fluid. Also if the shocks are that new then just remove one and sell it here. If they are good shocks, someone should want them.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF CHATA?

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Yeah, if they are new... don't wreck them... but I bet some one would give you some old ones to drill out for the look... that's all I am saying. I have duals and love the look. I would drill one out (because it rides like a tank) except the owner I bought this truck from put custom chrome shocks on it and I don't want to wreck them....

C'mon captain break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

13. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

I think i am just gonna take one off, cause i dont care much about the 2 shock look, but the ride of a tank would prob be an improvement
    thanks for the advice everybody

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?