Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Remove A/C?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Magnus88, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Magnus88

Magnus88 Registered Member

I am in the process of cleaning up my engine compartment, and getting rid of all the unnececarry junk. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Since most of the A/C system was removed by some PO i would like to remove the big black box on the firewall to get better acces to the back part of the engine. Will i be able to just unbolt it or are some of the parts reqired for the heating to work?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The only way to get rid of the big black box is to completely remove ALL you A/C-heater stuff and install a complete non-a/c heater unit. Then you'll have a hole in the firewall that will need to be filled up.

3. Magnus88

Ok... thanks!. And there won't be anything sticking out of the hole in the firewall? It will be completely flat when i fill it, right?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

NO it won't be flat. It will be FLATTER, but not flat. Blower motor sticks out of the non-AC box, which sticks out off of the firewall maybe 4". (so guessing maybe 6-8" total "stickout")

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah if you still want heater then you must get non a/c system from a donor truck, but as already mentioned, the firewall is different from a/c to non a/c

if you look againj you will see that the heat blower and such are mounted to the box and you need those to have at least a heater,.

the next thing different from a/c to non a/c is that the dash pad does not have vents in it for non a/c system, non a/c just has floor and windshield defroster vents and thats all, very basic,'

6. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I did this to a customers truck, he hated the way it looked. I removed the exterior box and used a sawsall and cut off the area where the condensor was. Made a plate out of aluminum, sealed it up and put the original box back on. Works good, make sure you seal it up good or you will a wet floor.

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I converted my Burb from AC to non-AC. Had to fill the old hole in the firewall and make a new one. Got everything from the donor truck.

Also a good idea to take a piece of cardboard and bolt it to the non-AC firewall and trace the opening onto the cardboard. Now you have a template for cutting your firewall.

The sound deadener on the inside of your firewall is essentially the heater box gasket. It too has the hole in the wrong place. Mine was trashed so I made up the difference with windshield putty called "Dum-dum" from the local parts counter.

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

U2Slow, are there any issues with using a pre-81 non a/c set up on a 81+ body? I figure the control head will "look" different but will the box itself will fit the firewall (after I modify the hole)?

TIA! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure on 80-older heaters... I was in a pinch so I stole the non-AC heater from my crewcab! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The 80-older stuff looks the same from what I can remember. The heater cores are the same anyways.

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

whatever you do don't forget to cut a new hole for air to blow through. I did the conversion twice now and the first time I forgot to cut the hole. DOH!!!!

11. Magnus88

Ok, thanks a lot guys! I'll see if i can get my dirty hands on a complete non a/c setup.

BTW, i have been haveing problems with the tranny since i got it. Shifting hard itno 2nd, feeling like a tired old dog on acceleration. Today i adjusted the T.V. cable and... presto-changeo!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I just thought the 6.2L was that tired but now it feels like a completeley different engine! A 3 minute fix and it made all the difference in the world.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

axle ratio affects acceleration rate directly, and cable adjustment will change shift point, pull it too far and it will shift later and harder, opposite occurs when cable is too loose, you want trannny to shift quicker in order to let clutch pack discs last a long life and fluid to stay clean