Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Remove Dash 72 Blazer?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Beaz, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Beaz

Beaz Registered Member

I am looking to see if I can remove my dash (not dash pad) to make it easier to prep and repaint. It looks like the top/front of the dash goes into the bottom of the windshield pinch weld. Does it come out? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I don't think you can take that thing out, it should be welded inplace...I remover my windshild and found it easy to get to most of it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

It's not a bolt-in part. To remove it will require cutting out spotwelds and doing a LOT of work.....probably more than its worth if all you want to do is paint-prep.

You can cut along the slots under the dashpad to free up most of the dash, remove the two bolts on each side, and make some cuts near the lower windshield corners to remove it. This is what I will have to do to do replace my butchered dash..... but again, the amount of work may not be worth it.

If it were me, and the dash was already decent, I'd just strip out all the electrical and ventilation and then do a little sandblasting if there's rust up under there in the cowl area. Follow that up with an etching primer (or whatever) then shoot your final color.

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i agree with greg 100 %. i just took the one out of my parts truck, and i had nothing but bare metal under there. no wires heater ducts or anything and the windshield was out. there is no way i would try to do it unless it was that far apart. and the little nuts onthe back of the dash pad OMG they suck!!!

69k5

5. Beaz

Beaz Registered Member

Thanks guys, I was afraid of that.

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

With the windsheild out, and dash pad removed, it's a piece of cake to prep the top or face of the dash.

Had mine out 4-5 year's ago to do the same thing, [change color's] and it was very easy to work on the dash.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yep its part of the cab once it was spot welded at the lower windshield crimpweld/seam during factory asembly process

lots easier to rmeove pad and windshield for sure, unless you are VERY handy with cutting and welding equipment /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif