Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Remove ESC and CCC?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hobbes9112, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Hobbes9112

Hobbes9112 Registered Member

I just bought my first K5 today. It is a 1985 GMC Jimmy with a 305. I bought it on eBay and had it shipped here from California. Unfortunately that means there are computer controls for the distributor and carb. Are there any advantages to keeping this system? It seems to be running a little too rich. Would my performance/fuel economy increase if I got rid of it and switched to a regular carb and distributor? If so, how hard is it to do and what steps are involved?

Thanks!!
    Brian

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm not sure how easy it would be to disable those items from the ECM but i'm guessing you don't have emissions checks in your state?

You can easily replace both the carb and distributor with non computer controlled ones but i'm not sure if the ECM is there for anything else or if those items need to be hooked up to complete the circuit.

3. Hobbes9112

Here in Kansas there are no emissions checks. I know I can replace the carb and distributor but I need to know if I need to disable the computer controls for them to avoid error codes. The carb is running way too rich. The butterfly valve is almost completely closed in the morning when on any other car I have it is straight up. The floats are at the top of the bowl and you can smell gas anytime you open the hood even after it has been sitting over night.

What I really need to know is if this will even make a difference and how hard it is to do.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  4. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the choke is stuck part way closed so either the choke pull off is bad or the electric choke is bad. Look on the carb and see if the wire is pluged into the electric choke coil on the passenger side of the carb. If so with the key on take a test light and see if it is getting 12 volts with the key on and if not check the fuses. To check the choke pull off pull the vaccum hose off the carb and take a clean piece off vaccum hose to the choke pull off and suck on it and see if it will hold a vaccum if replace it. To bypass the electronics on the distrubutor you unplug it from the computer and tie the green and black wires together this will by pass all the electronics. Leave it unpluged from the computer.

bigred81

5. Hobbes9112

If I cut those wires and tie them together, will that disable only the esc or will it stop the computer on the carb too? If I do that, will the lockout for the tranny still work? This Jimmy has the California emmisions and the high altitude options so I don't think the lockout is vacuum controlled.