Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Remove my top?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazen_md, Apr 2, 2002.

1. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

Got a 90 k5 and looking to take off the top can I take off the top? The bolts that hold it on are like a torx head with a little thing in the middle. Any help would be appreciated.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They are anti-tamper torx. You can find them, they are around. Not sure of aize, they could be the "oddball" t-47 if GM was trying to keep people from removing the bolts, which they were. I asume the seatbelts on the topper are held in the same way.

3. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Yup, you sure can take it off. As far as the bolts go.... you have two options. You can either buy a driver that will fit the stock "security" bolts (they DO make them - I have one) or you can take the bolts out however possible (vise grips come to mind) and replace them with a normal hex head style. Also, there are two additional bolts mounted upside down towards the rear corners of the truck that are hidden by the side panels. It's possible to access this bolt by removing the speakers and using an extension or by partially removing the whole side panel. Once you get those last two upside down bolts out, leave 'em out permanently. They're useless. And that's it!

4. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

It is a T-40-S

5. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I usually use a lot of alcohol and sweet-talking to get a top off....oh...you meant on the truck! Same method, different application.

6. blazingboy

blazingboy 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 and I want to take the top of then get a soft top for the summer, but everyone tells me not to becuase when you put the hardtop back on it leaks. Anybody got any advice.

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

oh my god thats funny as he!!

leave it to yall to make me smile after a crappy day

Later

8. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

take it off slow and dont tear any of the weatherstripping and you should be fine...

Later

9. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I always heard about the hard top leaking as well, but took it off anyway. I've had it on and off on my 86 about 15 different times now with no leaks. I'm thinking maybe the old style with the full removable tops may have leaked and thats what people talk about?? I always heard the same thing too. When you put it back on tighten the cab bolts before the bed rail ones, this will pull it tighter to the cab.

10. keeferk5

keeferk5 Registered Member

If you are careful taking it off it won't leak when you put it back on.( mines been coming off and going back on for 5 years and never leaks). I am pretty sure that Ford started that rumour because the Bronco's leak so bad.

11. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

When I take my top off I spray the weatherstripping with windex or 409, something like that to make it a little wet. Things don't tear as easily