Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Remove rust with a battery charger and baking soda

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Leper, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Did anyone see the show on "Trucks" where they used a 3a battery charger and a bucket with water and baking soda to completely remove rust from parts?
    I am trying to get the ratio of baking soda to water, so that I can try it myself.

2. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I do not remember exactly but it was a small amount of baking soda. Something like a cup per 5 gal. of clean water. It should be on again Saturday though.:wink1:

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I did see it but only the last few secs of that tech tip. I thought it was some chemical they bought.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

5. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I wonder if this will work on a large scale like a swimming pool? Then I could just push my blazer in and winch it out a few days later, good as new:doah: :haha: .

6. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

wait....:thinking:

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. Looks like I will be putting some rebar in a 30 gallon trash can and dumping in some parts this weekend.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

read my mind!..

I had the same thoughts!..but 3 days later ,I bet all that would be left of my truck would be the tires!.:doah: ....they are about the only things on it without at least SOME rust on it!...:rolleyes:

Must work kind of like electro-plating something,only in reverse!..I've seen guys on "treasure hunt" shows use similar devices, to "clean" old coins and other precious metal objects that sat on the ocean floor for centuries,made them look like new.....

I saw a "corrosion inhibitor" device on a Nissan truck that came in my friends shop recently--it hooks to the battery,and supposedly prevents rust and corrosion..the truck was pretty rust free!..I've seen them advertised in J.C. Whitney before,but never saw one for real..I guess many bridges and ships use the same principle for corrosion protection..works like those "sacraficial anodes" they put in radiators,and on metal objects submerged in salt water I guess...:crazy:

9. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I've used this technique for a while now. Did every thing on my D60 that would unbolt, used my shopvac tub as a container. It knocks off even the scale rust. After the "dip" just scrub the black deposit off with detergent and a bristle brush and paint, beats sandblasting and grinding. I use one tablespoon of Red Devil drain cleaner (sodium hydroxide) to one gallon of water. biggest thing I've done was a D60 tierod in a piece of 4" PVC pipe stood on end with a cap on one end. Everything came clean over nite so by the weekend everything was ready for paint.

10. Tominator II

Tominator II 1/2 ton status

I have had great results using a 1/2 to 1 cup of laundry soda to 5 gallons of water. I use 2 pieces of big rebar in the bucket and a 10 amp batt charger. I now have a 100 amp charger but am skeered to try it for this.:D

11. Steve GMC

Steve GMC 1/2 ton status

12. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I posted a link and pics of a way to do a whole frame. It used plastic tarp and stuff. It was a year or more ago though.

13. Steve GMC

Steve GMC 1/2 ton status

SICK

how long did it take?