Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Remove springs to re-shim?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OneInTheSun, Jun 5, 2001.

1. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

I need to replace the 3 degree shims in my rear 4 inch Superlift springs with something like a 4 or 6 degree to get the driveline angles all hunky-dory (the transfer case is already lowered). Can I just leave the springs on the truck to do this or is there too much compression? If they can stay on, I obviously know that the spring packs need to be clamped before taking the bolts out.

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have swapped front ones by leaving them bolted up. I jacked the body of the truck up until the tire came off the ground. Then jack the axle up and remove the u-bolts. Then drop the axle down.. Onc eyou drop the axle you can pull the center bolt out of the springs and the install the new shim and re-installed the center pin bolt and bolt everything back up!

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yep, what Emmett said or you can jack up the axles till you can get some stands under the frame and then lower the axles as needed.

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI

4. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Thanks Mike. I installed the lift, so I know the procedure. I was pretty sure I could leave them on - just wanted to check with others to make sure the pack isn't going to blow apart as soon as I pull the bolt. Thanks again.

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?