Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Remove the AC box and keep the Fan motor?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nitrodrip350, May 15, 2003.

1. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Can this be done? I don't have AC anymore and it just messes up my engine bay. Yesterday I tried to remove it and noticed that the fan motor is connected to the large housing that the AC goes into - DUH!? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif So I wanted to know is there a way to remove the box and still keep my fan/heater? I don't think that I can get a fan from a non AC since they just bolt into the firewall.

Thanks, Shane

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Do a complete swap with a non a/c system is the only way....I've got one for sale, pm me if your interested /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Nitrodrip350

So do I have to change out the firewall??? Or does a non-as have a different box that hooks to the firewall?

Thanks, Shane

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

non-a/c unit bolts right to the existing place, you will just have to make a plate to cover the hole from where the A/C portion of the unit went thru the firewall, the heater portion is in the same exact place /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Are there differences in the non-a/c set ups with respect to before and after 81?

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Just the control panel, the resistors and the fan motor is about it i believe. But if you get a complete unit from one rig(pre 81) and install into another rig(post 81)you should be ok.

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Good info, THANKS!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Here is some pics I took when I did my swap. Remember to get the inside heater box parts and controller too. Get all the parts from the same truck!! I didn't and it doesn't all work right. Pretty easy to do. http://photos.yahoo.com/seslick77

9. Nitrodrip350

Thanks that helps a lot! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    So do you have to use a different heater fan? I've heard that the AC fans are a lot stronger so I'd like to keep the new one that I bought a while ago on it. Also how are NON-AC controlers controlled? Is it all mechanical or vacuumed as well?

Thanks, Shane