Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

remove tranny / xfer case ?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Jul 14, 2005.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok so now it is close to the time for me to replace my bellhousing with the hydraulic one and also replace my clutch....

so my truck is not HUGE but a tad over stock.. how do I get the tranny out in my driveway without a trannyjack? I do however have a floor jack...
    but that stuff is heavy......!!!!!

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I use an engine hoist and go through the top...if that not an option then my answer is a floor jack, ratchet staps, and very carefully

3. RootBreaker

yeah a friend said I can borrow his engine hoist.... and take my seat and floor pan out.. then can do it via through the cab. I also need to remove my door to replace a door hinge.. so that could all be done at once I guess.... :doah:

4. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I have always used a floor jack. I have always wanted to weld up some sort of fork that you could attach to the floor jack and that would cradle the tranny. It is probably actually easier to get the tranny out if the truck isnt very tall since you dont have such a long way to drop the tranny down. You will definately want a helper though if you do use a floor jack since it takes at least two people to keep it stable on the jack.

5. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

If all you need to work on is changing the bellhousing and clutch just run 2 ratchet straps between the frame rails and pull the tranny from the bellhousing until it rests on the straps. Balcance the tranny/t-case combo on the floor jack and move it as far back as you can and rest it on the straps once its back far enough. Now you canges the bellhousing and clutch without having to lift the "light" combo up form the ground.

6. RootBreaker

good idea.. I have cheap straps though.. rachet ones.. but I do know where I can get BIGGINS for like $10 each.. the ones that the tractor trailers have...
    and are new...

so maybe pick 2 of them up and do that....

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I bought a motorcycle jack from Harbor Freihgt ... bout $70 ... and stacked 4x4's on it criss-cross.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=2792

tcases.jpg

8. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

The engine hoist works well. I removed the 5 speed from my F-250 diesel with one. I used a tow strap wrapped around the tranny and then to the hoist. It made it easy because you can lift the tranny up and down as needed to take the bind off the bolts.

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have seen somone use a ratcheting cable , and also seen a chain hoist , hanging from their roll cage .

10. RootBreaker

ok so I kinda screwed up tonight...

well I figured I would use my floor jack and that was it...
    didnt drop the tranny or xfer onto the ground...

I took the 2 bolts under the bracket out.. took the 4 bolts off the tranny to the bellhousing...

well figured I would put the jack on the tranny and lift.. and slide back... leaving the xfer case bracket attaced to the frame.... I noticed that there were 2 rubber pieces that the bolts went through... so I took a pipe about 3' in length and wedged it in there..... pried up and stuck my hand under there and pulled the first one out... so I thought to myself... while grabbing the second... that this isnt .........safe...... well guess what.. when I turned and put my hand under my other hand pushed and slipped and the tranny/xfer case fell onto my hand :doah: :eek1:
    my 5 year old was watching and it scared the fajesus out of me... I yelled really quick... OH F$%$... he jumped up and started to run... I grabbed the bar and wedged it back in and pried up... got my hand out and told him to come back.. so then I started looking for fingers... well they are attached..... not broken.... not squished as I am using it to type right now... I got lucky.... I knew better and know my safety rules apply.....

so I asked my son where was he going... he said... TO CALL 911!!!! I told him that that was good...but mommy is home so he should have gotten her first.... but all in all... im gonna call my bud and get his engine hoist or buy a tranny jack....FARK THIS!!!! :doah:

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cant be too safe..

Your very lucky you were not more seriously injured!...I've seen 2 guys crushed under cars they were fixing in their yard..one was using wire milk crates for jack stands--he's dead!..so is the other guy who trusted his OEM bumper jack to hold up the car while he was changing his tranny fluid.one wheel was removed so he could get under the car better..too bad he forgot to slide the tire and rim under the car--he was crushed to death,and his face and chest had the outline of a TH350 embossed into him...he wont have to worry about his tranny anymore!.. :(

You should use something in place of the floor jack's "saddle"--weld a peice of pipe to a flat plate,and wrap a chain around the tranny and T-case and bolt it securely to the flat plate ,so it cant fall off and crush you...a NP203 or NP205 T-case is definately not something you want falling on you!--they weigh at least 250 lbs,attached to an SM465 tranny,they are over 500 lbs!..A helper is an excellent idea!

..Even having your 5 year old nearby is better than no one..I've done several alone,and always feared I'd get pinned under the truck and noboby would find me till it was too late!--but I used a tranny jack adapter with my floor jack,chained everything in place,and worked carefully--so far I'm not dead--YET!...but all it takes is one moment of haste to END ALL your moments forever!--BE CAREFUL!... :doah: :crazy:

12. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

SM465 weighs 175 lbs.
    NP205 weighs 140 lbs.
    I've pulled many transmission and transfer cases by myself. Pull the transfer case separately, then the transmission. The transfer case can just be bench pressed in and out. For the transmission I lay under the case, loosen the bolts and use my hips and arms to lift and slide the mass backwards and down onto my chest/midsection. Then bear hug it and roll the whole thing over onto it's side. Get out from under the rig and drag it across the concrete out from under the vehicle. This is of course not for the small fry's. I'm 6'2" and 230 lbs.
    A friend's Flatfender Jeep had a T90/Spicer 18 combo that I pulled without unbolting the two. I had started to remove bolts to separate them, but one of them leaked oil when removed so I assumed they had a common oil cavity. Put the bolt back in and dropped the whole assembly together.
    Travis

13. Iron_Weasel

Iron_Weasel Registered Member

Safety Lesson

Here at the Dodge dealer I work at (yeah..I know....work for Dodge and own 2 Chevy's :haha: ), I get laughed at for using the support jacks when I have a pickup or larger SUV on my lift.
    The support jacks are rated for something like 2 tons...it's hard to describe what they look like, but their purpose is to support vehicles or large components while working on them.
    I'll put one of these suckers underneath the rear axle of any truck bigger than a Dakota any time I get under them. And almosst every time I do it..someone else gives me guff about being scared or whatever else.

Personally, I don't like the idea of working under a truck where half of it is unsupported. I worked at another dealer that didn't have these jacks and I personally witnessed a vehicle across the aisle from my bay fall off the lift.
    Noone was hurt because they guy working on it was at the parts counter.
    Ever since that day, I'm been extra cautious about using safety equipment whenever possible.

Proper tools also have their place.....if you're removing a transmission/transfer case, use a tranny jack wheneer possible. if you don't have one - GET ONE. I'm not talking these $1800 jobs that we have here, but a smaller one that's more affordable. I picked one up for home use for about $200. Not only do they make removing the tranny much easier, it's also MUCH safer.
    I don' know about you, but my life and limbs are worth far more than $200.

14. RootBreaker

I agreed but one thing to realize.... the tranny and xfer wouldnt fall out and onto me killing me... I left the xfer case bracket attached to the frame.... thus had the floor jack under the xfer case.... I only pryed up to get the rubber mounts out so the thing would slide on the metal...

yes I could have seriously gotten hurt and stuck... however the unit wouldnt fall on me... we did pull it back and replace the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing.... but cannot get the tranny to slide back in.. gonna do it hopefully tomorrow...

all the hydro clutch stuff is in though.... :bow:
    I believe it needs to be blead though as when I pushed on the pedal.. the clutch didnt move much at all... is it supposed to????