Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removeable/swing out rear cab glass ideas ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Mar 22, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

anyone thnik of any slick way to make a swingout rear cab glass on pickup models ? i figure make a piece out of flat carbon glass, drill necessary holes and install hinges and latch parts from such vehicle as a van or something with pop/swing glass,

or somehow to make removeable altogether for nice days ?

how to modify factory weatherstripping ?

i figure to cut off outer lower part of the stripping and up the sides about halfway, and inside upper part of it or at least inside of the sides all way to top corners, attach hinges to glass to interior ceiling(almost ceiling) metal..

any ideas ?

thanks

2. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

there is a company that makes pop out windows like on vans and maybe even a power rear window. the name escapes me now. something like c. h. lawrence or something like that. they also make caulking and other sealing materials like foam and stuff. i did a google search but no luck. maybe someone else can chime in. in the shop i worked in, we used their silicone caulk and on the box was a pic of a popout rear window.

3. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

I have seen a truck that used a blazer motor to roll the back glass down. It was sick looking.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've seen power sliders...

A freind had a truck with a sliding power back window,it slid straight down behind the seat--sorry,I dont know who built or sells them,but they were fairly common in the 73-87 year trucks..maybe it was J.C. Whitney or a similar company that sold them..:thinking:

5. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

Stylin concepts ( www.stylinconcepts.com ) carries them for late model trucks. How about just ditching the back glass and using a tonneau style cover for the back, sort of like a Fasttrack top for a K5.

:k5: :hack: :grind: :weld:

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

naa i wouldnt want to use a blazer motor or a cover thing, i would want to fab something i could pop out or crack open at top or bottom

hmm..

ill figure out soemthing i guess

have to get creative, go hunting through junkyards for latches and ideas, etc,

thanks

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Like a sunroof??

You mean like an aftermarket sunroof you can crank open,and swing the widow open far enough to unhook it and take it right out..right??--I have one like that but its too small,maybe a van sized one would be wide enough--it likely would need an "adapter" made of sheet metal or thin 1/4 inch plywood to graft its aluminum frame into the rubber gasket..but if you can find the right size,it wont be hard to make a sunroof work...unbreakable plexiglass or lexan on most of them too,not glass--..any conversion vans in the boneyards nearby??.:cool1:

8. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

found it

the name of the company is c r lawrence. they make a power sliding rear window. here's a link http://www.aztrucks.com/category.asp?product=94 . i know i've seen other kits. i want to say that this might be popular on the west coast. look at california car club websites. someone may have so and so's power rear window kit.