Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removeable top Suburban.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jhellwig, Jun 11, 2005.

1. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

This idea poped into my head to day and I was woundering if it has ever been done.

It looks like it would be a simple task. Take the hardtop from a blazer and put it on a suburban. I would think that the glass would be the same for the rear windows and rear side windows. If a person was handy with metal or maybe even just handy with a welder and some bondo. Just adapt in the bed rail and back of the cab. :hack: :grind: :weld:

:k5: + :burb: = :saweet:

Just something to ponder I guess.

2. ftcjimmy

ftcjimmy Registered Member

ive talked to a suburban guy who was thinkin about doin this.... his idea was to take the whole back section of a K5 (seperating the "bed" from the "cab") then cutting the same amount off of the burban, and putting the back half of the K5 on. this way theres not bedrail or nething to deal with. Just one weld all the way around.

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

been done. do a search

4. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

ya this came up about a month ago. ford makes this too. centurion is a long bronco, like a suburban. they made convertables of it, they are rare but out there.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yeah, this has been done before by a few people that I know of. I've even thought about doing it. The tailgate glass and the side window glass IS different between a burb and blazer tho.

6. Wes Harden

Wes Harden Registered Member

crewcab 1/2 bed

I have a beat up k20 burb been toying with idea of cutting just back off behind the second doors and welding in the back of trimed standard cab.
    Prob won't happen thou to many project not enough time
    Wes

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

FYI, Ford didn't make those. Centurion was an aftermarket company that used to make a pseudo-Suburban using parts from a 4-door pickup, parts from a Bronco, and plenty of custom bodywork. The removable Bronco rear section was a nice touch, but I wonder how many of them ever got removed...

8. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Ok I did what I should have done in the first place and searched. I didn't figure I would find anything because I have never seen anything like this that was a foord or a chevy. And now that I have seen a picture of one. I don't want one. I think it looks ugly. :mad: :( Maybe if I got board and had spare time and money and wanted to make a show truck, but other than that no. Chopping the back off to tahoe length would be more practical. :crazy: